We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favourite Island

bristol
Level Contributor
99 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Favourite Island

Hi everyone,

Hoping to visor Azores in September,

I wondered what peoples favourite Island was and why?

Thank you!

Jan

Povoacao, Portugal
Level Contributor
44 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favourite Island

Hi Jan!

My favourite obviously that one were I have my little paraside ... São Miguel... a fabulous one which has a little bit of all the others :-) But I love so much São Jorge... gorgeous for trekking and for its magic villages lying on the sea called fajãs,... PIco is beautiful for the landscape black and red and it's under Unesco protection and also very good for walks on the vineyards.

And Flores it's a small and magic island too... they are my top 4 but I love all of them and it's diffucult to choose.. it took me years to know them and I've still so much hidden treasures to discover!

Hope that you will be have a great pleasure to organise your trip!

Kind regards,

Adélia

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
21,663 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favourite Island

The main question is for how long do you plan to be in the Acores? If it's one week and you want to see several islands then it's Faial, Pico and S. Jorge. They are very close to each other and you can easily go by ferry, no need to do inter-island flights. The weather in the Acores can spoil your plans because it's not infrequent that inter-island flights are cancelled due to fog or bad weather. Also if you're the kind of tourist that wants to explore every inch and you have only 1 week then S. Miguel has a lot to offer.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
48 posts
3,385 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favourite Island

BristolNightingale - Hi, this is Larry, from Upstate New York. My family is planning on taking a trip to the Azores in 2015. I was wondering if you had any great insights into these islands, and whether there is two weeks worth of activity to do there...perhaps split between three islands. Any information you have would be useful.

Thanks,

Larry

Boston
Level Contributor
11 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favourite Island

I'm wrapping up a trip here in the Azores tomorrow. I spent three nights on Flores and three on Sao Miguel. The travel days really cut into time to see and do things so if you're here for a week, I'd say two islands at the most. I found Flores to be perfect for unwinding. It's very rural and largely uninhabited (not counting cows!). Great hiking. That's what I was after so I cannot comment on museums, churches, etc. See my review of Aldeia da Cuada for lodging. I reserved a car through Sixt, but the reservation was handled by Ilha Verde, so I probably could have saved had I reserved directly through them. Not the most attractive car but perfectly serviceable. Also, I went off-season and you really have to work to find open restaurants. O Pescador in Ponta Delgada, Flores, was unassuming but served good fish.

Then I got to Sao Miguel - wow, what a difference! Highways, big towns, lots of people! And so many things to do. I could have spent a week here (or two). Lots and lots of great hikes, thermal pools, beautiful vistas. And I haven't had time for formal gardens, museums, whale watching, etc.

One last tip - I ended my trip on Sao Miguel intentionally to be near the airport for my return flight. Inter-island flights are usually reliable, I am told, but weather can impact the flight schedule. I didn't want to risk my flight home due to weather.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,409 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favourite Island

I have only been to one island (Sao Miguel) but loved every minute.

Have a look at my trip report for further info:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189134-i1760-k4…

Oslo, Norway
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Favourite Island

Originally we wanted to split our time between 3 islands, but all the ferries got cancelled due to the bad weather (wasn't bad on the island, but probably quite bad on the sea). So we ended up staying in Sao Miguel for two weeks. We did not regret it at all. We traveled around the island and it was truly wonderful. After two years we decided to go back. This time we try to hit other islands as well. For 7-10 days, I recommend staying only on Sao Miguel. You will have a lot to see and experience. It is a wonderful island with lots of variety.

7. Re: Favourite Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 07:17