We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around the islands

1 post
Save Topic
Getting around the islands

My boyfriend and I are landing in Terceira in July. I've been looking at both Atlanticoline and Transmacor for getting around the islands. It honestly seems a little bit more complicated than what I've heard. We're going for eight days and during those eight days there doesn't seem to be enough routes to allow us to get to Sao Miguel, Pico, Flores, and Faial, (which are our top islands to go to) and then back to Terceira. For instance, the only way we can get from Terceira to Pico is to take a ferry from Terceira to Graciosa, then Graciosa to Sao Jorge, then Sao Jorge to Pico. That seems a little nuts. I'm wondering if anyone knows more about the ferry services and can lend some advice. Are there other ferry lines than the two that I've heard about or are there other times that might not be listed on their online schedule?

I appreciate the help!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,569 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around the islands

"Are there other ferry lines than the two" No, just those two. And with only 8 days the only way to do all those islands is flying and even so you may end up retained in one of them due to weather (fog) conditions. From your list Terceira, Faial and Pico and back to Terceira are doable by ferry but that's it. If someone told you that was easy to go from one island to the other by ferry has never been there or was only in Faial, Pico and S. Jorge the only ones with easy and regular ferry service all year.

Lisbon, Portugal
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around the islands

I think many people don't realize the distance between the east and west groups because most maps compress the longitude scale.

In reality Azores stretches for 600 km (370 mi) between E-W.

Mektub

3. Re: Getting around the islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2015, 06:17