We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Azores

Which Horta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Azores

WE would like to visit the azores next May ..... but cannot find any flights. Any idea which aiport in Portugal flights leave from? Which is best island to visit and how does one get from island to island - is it easy to do so? Day trips or longer?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Azores

Thanks for the help .... planning to fly into S.Miguel then try to go to Faial ...... please can you suggest site to look for inter-island flight? I assume cannot go to Faial by boat/ferry?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Azores

Hi again Just going through all the replies I've received - End May in P.delgado is the feast: "Santo Cristo dos Milagres". does this mean it will be really busy? Had though of arriving about 31 May ... cannot be there for start of the celebration .... would be interseting to compare with Church feasts in Goa where 2nd sunday after Easter is Milagres feast at the church in one town - mapusa. This is just a one day church feast with a local fair nearby for a week.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,338 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Azores

To go to Faial go to SATA website and you'll see the inter-island flights.

The festivity has it's one website www.santo-cristo.com, it's in portuguese.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Azores

Thanks for info.

Charleston, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Azores

Hi, my husband and I are looking at planning a short trip (4 days total) to a location like Azores Island for scuba and relaxation but we would like to know if this is even feasible time wize coming from the east coast of the united states. also if coming in august would be enjoyable for what we wish to do.I saw the previous post about a us flight package from boston for a 6 night pkg and I am thinking that we would need at least that much time to enjoy a trip to this beautiful area of the world..any help would be appreciated.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,338 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Azores

August will be fine, there's also a lot of festivities in some islands.

São Miguel island (Ponta Delgada airport) is the biggest and probably the one with best connections to the States, there are some scuba spots identified there and companies that offer those programs.

Faial and Pico islands are the most famous for whale watching, dolphin swimming, but probably you'll need inter-island flights to go there and 4 days it's very risky to do that.

Fall River...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Azores

Cassie-

It is possible to go for 4 days total if you'd like, there are 6 flights a week (Monday-Saturday) from Boston to the Azores during the summertime, all the way until the middle of September. You can also try going by way of Lisbon, but that is usually a longer way to go.

If you have the time though, go longer then 4 days, especially if you want to scuba and relax.

A great place to do both is the Hotel Caloura on the island of Sao Miguel, as they have there own diving center, and it is a great place to relax.

Be sure to checkout the Azorean tourism board website for more information on scuba diving in the Azores. The provide info on the diving in the azores, as well as information on the diving sites within the islands.

visitazores.com/en/…scuba

Edward A. de Melo

Email: edward.demelo@tourazores.com

Charleston, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Azores

Thank you for the information. I think since we would be traveling 2 out of the 4 days we will choose a different location for this trip and when we have opportunity try to plan a longer trip to enjoy this beautiful location. Sounds and looks like a wonderful group of islands that we now have on our bucket list!

Pensacola, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: Azores

My wife and I would like to visit Faial Island and then go to San Miguel to search ancestry records. Any ideas on travel from the mainland to the Azores and inter-island transportation?

Thanks,

Terry

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Azores

Intra-island air transportation by air is only by SATA, the Azorean airline. SATA also has non-stop flights to Ponta Delgada (Sao Miguel island) from Boston and Toronto. If you flew from Pensacola to Boston, you would be able to get a non-stop flight directly and from Ponta Delgada. From Ponta Delgada to Horta, SATA has one daily non-stop and a few one-stop flights via Terceira.

If you are planning to fly Florida to Lisbon, both SATA and TAP (the Portuguese airline) have flights to the Azores from Lisbon. There also are flights from Porto. Other European cities have flights to the Azores as well, some with additional carriers.

Which dates are you thinking about for your planned trip?

Edited: 06 February 2015, 21:35
Get answers to your questions about Horta