We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do in san miguel

Toronto, ON
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
what to do in san miguel

hi: looking to head to san miguel, AZOREs end of october

What are hilights of things to see and do there?

PLEASE ADVISE. THANKS

ponta delgada
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do in san miguel

very little. This place is better for old people. Tranquillity.. little pollution... no terrorists etc. Go shopping... visit a few beauty spots(They are good) and there is golf. sea trips to watch the whales. Country walks.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
797 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do in san miguel

I must disagree with the previous post. The Azores is one of the most beautiful places on earth, there are a lot of things to do there, mostly related with nature. If you want to go shopping you had best chose somewhere else, like Toronto!

But you've already been there, in October, so you should know...

boston
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do in san miguel

for cinanina -- i'm headed to sao miguel this coming june, and can't wait!! do you have time to give some insider travel tips? i'm thinking of booking a room on a working dairy farm, which will be great, but am curious about things like horseback riding, hot springs or mud springs (for soaking, rather than cooking!), and small local artisan markets. also, does sao miguel have its own bullfight tradition, or would i have to look to terceira for that? huge thanks!

Syracuse, Utah
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do in san miguel

You would have to look at Terceira for that. Sao Miguel has beautiful ocean and beaches. Take a tour at the dish factory. I loved the lakes. Beautiful lakes and there is a waterfall that has a pool at the bottom for swimming.

Pleasant Grove, UT
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do in san miguel

Hi, this is for Utah Traveler

Have you already been to the Azores before? If so, I am rather nervous about the hotel situations in Sao Miguel. Do you have any do and don't for hotels there? In Terceira we are staying on the Air Force base with our son. What about food and resturants? I am a fussy eater so my son has warned me that I may not be very happy with the food. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again for all your help!

scotland
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do in san miguel

My partner and I are going to stay at the hotel Terra Nostra for two weeks in Sep. Is it easy to do some walking in that area does anyone know? also we would like to do some whale watching is that easy do do?

los angeles
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: what to do in san miguel

in 10 years at 50 years old wife and me want to retire (live a full life) in Portugal I think... Live in a small Villa with a few arces not a lot of money... write novels, private, but not too far from civilization - Thinking to start the search soon in Algarve. I am Portuguess but don;t speak the language and have never been to Portugal - Any suggestions where to start... we currently live in beautiful Soutern California so Faro weather sounds good to us..

rick

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to do in san miguel

My wife and I just returned from an enjoyable week in the Azores (Sao Miguel and Terceira). The nine islands of the Azores are excellent for enjoying nature. There are mountains (extinct and not-so-extinct volcanoes) to explore, by car and/or on foot. Viewpoints with small car parks are signposted on the roads and marked on the excellent maps available free from travel agents in Ponta Delgada. Walking trails are easy to find and there are no snakes or dangerous wild animals. Despite the evident income disparities, crime is not a problem, though normal precautions with handbags and the like are advisable. The area has not been discovered by the 18-30 beach partying groups (it wouldn't be hot enough for them, anyway), so all the resorts are quiet, clean and suitable for families, honeymooners or anyone wanting a peaceful and restful holiday. Look out for the hot springs, especially in Furnas, which is a short drive from Ponta Delgada, and, if you go to Terceira, the massive cave in the bowels of a dead volcano. The best way to see the island is by car, which you can hire at the airport, though it makes sense to book before you travel if you are going during the busy season or you may be disappointed. The roads are narrow, so it's less nerve-racking to hire a small car. Hire cars are generally manual (though automatics are available at rather high prices) and don't need to be air-conditioned because the climate isn't that hot. The Azores are part of Portugal, so the inhabitants generally drive on the right. If you need a taxi make sure to book it at least ten minutes before you need it, as even the large hotels don't seem to have taxis standing by.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to do in san miguel

Redwoods

Where did you stay in Sao Miguel and would you recommend it for a light sleeper (ie is it dark and quiet)?

Thanks

Kate

Get answers to your questions about Sao Miguel