We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental at the airport or Ponta Delgada?

Boston...
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Topic
Car rental at the airport or Ponta Delgada?

Hi all! After wrestling with our preferred hotels availability, we've finalized our plans for a week long get away to Ponta Delgada early October.

We're staying at the Hotel Marina Atlantico, and the purpose of the trip is sightseeing and R&R.

We will likely book a one day excursion to get an overview of the island with local insight, and we're considering a Whale watch if the chances are good that time of year for sightings (landscape and wildlife photography being a passion). Mostly tho, we want to enjoy our down time, find good local restaurants, (especially seafood as my wife is not a meat eater) and leisurely explore the beauty of this island, and possibly another if time allows for another day trip.

I've heard parking can be difficult and costly at the hotel and wondered if I'd be better served getting transfers from the airport and renting a car after being there a few days? My gut tells me it may be more expensive for a 4 day rental in town vs. a week long rental at the airport? Also, while we're looking forward to exploring the town on foot, we would hate to be restricted to walking distance from the hotel if we had time to explore more with the car.

Any thoughts, tips, advice on this subject, as well as local sights and fare are greatly appreciated!

Sao Miguel, Azores.
Level Contributor
127 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental at the airport or Ponta Delgada?

I can help you with all the answers to your questions if you want to e-mail me to discuss your trip. I have a lot of experience with bookings and restaurant selection and where to go on the island. I would love to help you out! Lisa. Please e-mail me at ring7lisa@hotmail.com

Bernalillo, New...
Level Contributor
167 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental at the airport or Ponta Delgada?

When we've stayed in Ponta Delgada we prefer to not have a car as parking and driving is difficult, plus it's very easy to get around on foot, or just use taxis. For those days when you venture out you can rent a car for the day, or hire a guide/taxi. There are car rental companies right in town. October should be pretty slow as compared to the summer months, so finding a car - say a day in advance - should be pretty easy. There are also a couple of guides that frequent this group that everyone speaks very well of. I have not found cheaper rates at the airport as compared to in town, nor have I found a price break for a week long versus day by day rate. We have usually decided to rent a car one day in advance and asked the hotel to arrange it. Often they can get a better price with some of smaller car companies. There are so many great restaurants on the island - check the TA restaurant listings for some ideas. It's a seafood-lovers paradise!

Amsterdam, The...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental at the airport or Ponta Delgada?

You can park free under hotel Marina Atlantico, just did that the last days

Boston...
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental at the airport or Ponta Delgada?

Thanks for the helpful info! I thought I read on here that you were charged if not out of the lot by 8 AM. We're not late sleepers, but don't like the idea of having a timetable like that hanging over our head while on vacation!

Looking forward to exploring the beaty and culture of the island (islands?) and enjoying the food, wine and relaxation!

Groningen, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental at the airport or Ponta Delgada?

Hi,

We just got back and had a lot of fun, just walking around, taking a bus tour by UTC, doing a jeep safari by Trails of Nature ( http://www.trilhosdanatureza.com/ ), taking a boat trip and renting a car for a day. For the car rental we made a phone call to Ilha Verde ( http://www.ilhaverde.com/en/ ) and could pick up the car at the next day in Ponta Delgada. All easy and without problems. There are also local busses but we did not try this, apparently when you have a schedule it is also not a problem

When we left there were long lines waiting for car rentals at the airport. Also in Ponta Delgada and by the beaches it can be a problem to find a parking space.

Taxis are good and don't use a meter there are fixed rates. So these are also good to use.

So basically I would not rent a car for the whole vacation, but just rent a car for single days. You can probably pick it up at 10:00 and can bring it back the same day at 19:00 or the next day before 10:00.

Edited: 15 August 2013, 14:32
Boston...
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental at the airport or Ponta Delgada?

Great info! Thanks for sharing!

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental at the airport or Ponta Delgada?

It is a 8 euro cab ride from the airport. There are lots of affordable places to rent in town, like micauto.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,155 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental at the airport or Ponta Delgada?

If your thinking of a private excursion I recommend Lisa. We had a excellent tour, Lisa is a excellent guide and we managed to see some beautiful places. Have a look at my trip report for further information:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189134-i1760-k4…

Lisa :- More compliments.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…52254

Have a great time!!

9. Re: Car rental at the airport or Ponta Delgada?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 05:17