We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba Diving / Snorkeling in Azores

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
282 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba Diving / Snorkeling in Azores

Anyone into snorkeling or diving who has tried it in the Azores.

If so, what did you think about the diving/snorkeling?

(i.e. amount and variety of fish and coral?)

Also, is it cold water diving?

Thanks

Sao Miguel, Azores...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba Diving / Snorkeling in Azores

Today the ocean temp is 21º - there is no coral around the azores islands - they are volcanically formed islands and the ocean is very deep. Snorkeling is very popular as is scuba diving.Ocean temps in winter months is never lower than 16º.

TRK
UK
Level Contributor
237 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba Diving / Snorkeling in Azores

Hi , just got back from the Azores , Sao Miguel

The water is quite warm for snorkelling , variety of fish to see along with jelly fish, sea cucumber etc.

Diving depends on your ability , I did a try dive with John Cockroft near Caloura and it was great , I'm told you can see Manta rays if you go further off the coast and that cave diving is also possible.

The island itself is so beautiful , there's lots to do away from the shore too , I'd recommend it as a place to visit

Clara

Twickenham, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba Diving / Snorkeling in Azores

Our family has just returned from the azores and tried snorkelling at sea for the first time. the water was lovely and warm, and lots of fish to see. You don't even have to go out in a boat to see great stuff - the fish come right up to the shore! The sea was positively teeming.

We also were lucky enough to be able to snorkel with dolphins - about 1 -2 kms from shore. the water was warm, clear and very blue. it may not be tropical, but because of the warm currents and abundance of lower food chain organisms the seas are full of life. Go, you won't regret it.

4. Re: Scuba Diving / Snorkeling in Azores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 19:19
Get answers to your questions about Sao Miguel