We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitor - Upscale Hotels?

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
237 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
First time visitor - Upscale Hotels?

Planning on making a summertime visit as my partner was born on Sao Miguel almost 50 years ago and has never been back. Where on the island would we find upscale hotels? Are there any resorts with a great pool and spa?

If we were to leave Sao Miguel for part of the trip, is there another "must see" island?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,746 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visitor - Upscale Hotels?

There are no five star hotels in Sao Miguel. I stayed in the Marina Atlantico in Ponta Delgada & the Hotel Caloura, both hotels four star. I liked both hotels but if your looking for 5 star luxury you will be disappointed. See my report and reviews for further info:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189134-i1760-k4…

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
237 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visitor - Upscale Hotels?

Excellent write up and advice. A solid 4-star is fine since the real reason we're going is to see where Chris was born and check out the island. I think both of those look fine and had pools (important to me). So I'll put them on the burner and maybe even look at some private villa rentals too.

Also, great information on tours and such as well. THANKS!

Sao Miguel, Portugal
Level Contributor
231 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visitor - Upscale Hotels?

You can consider one more Hotel, called Terra Nostra Garden Hotel.

It is a 4 star Hotel too.

The Hotel was renovated in June 2013, so it is a new Hotel. Has the most beautiful Botanical Garden on São Miguel, the Terra Nostra Botanaical Garden. in this Park has a thermal hot pool, temperatures variating 35º C to 38º C. It is located in the Furnas village in a Volcano Crater. Close from there is hot srings, the Furnas Lake, hiking áreas. Today can be one of the best hotels on the Island, in my opinion, depending in what you look for a Hotel too!

It is almost 45 mins from the Airport and Ponat delgada city, but it is surounded with mountains and a lot of greenery.

This is another option.

The only 5 start Hotel we have on the Azores is on Terceira Island.

How long will you stay on the Azores?

I am asking because you ask "If we were to leave Sao Miguel for part of the trip, is there another "must see" island?"

I wish you a nice vacation to the Azores!

Gary Travassos

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
237 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visitor - Upscale Hotels?

Thanks Gary! I'll check them both out. I'm thinking we'd want to stay a solid week so we could split up the trip with 3 nights one place, 4 nights the other. We're flexible!

5. Re: First time visitor - Upscale Hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 13:05
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visitor - Upscale Hotels?

Thanks Gary! Looking forward to our trip to the Azores in May. We booked the Terra Nostra Garden Hotel yesterday and are looking forward to a wonderful experience. See you at the airport to pick us up!

7. Re: First time visitor - Upscale Hotels?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 17:48
8. Re: First time visitor - Upscale Hotels?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Sao Miguel
Recent Conversations