We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cascais like Alvor

Which Cascais hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is Cascais like Alvor

Hi just wondering is Cascais about the same size as Alvor and mainly for family holidays?

My family are thinking of trying Cascais in July but not sure can you please let me know if this is a good family location if not do you know any in the Lisbon area.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,591 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Cascais like Alvor

Well, in the 2011 census Alvor had a population of just over 6,000 while Cascais had 35,000. That's a big difference size-wise and I find Cascais much busier for that reason alone.

I am sure Cascais is as family friendly as any other seaside resort but I did find that the best beaches are a bit out of town. However, Unlike Alvor, there is a decent local bus service if you don't want to drive everywhere, also Lisbon is only 40 minutes away by train for just €4,10 return.

ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Cascais like Alvor

Thanks for your help.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,648 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Cascais like Alvor

It's not, it's more cosmopolitan, but family friendly. There are plenty of beaches smaller accessible on foot, others by bus or train. Lisboa, Sintra and Cabo da Roca are very close and easy to go by train or bus.

Durham
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Cascais like Alvor

Hi we have just returned from Alvor (2nd visit) as I use a mobility scooter we wondered if Cascais is a similar resort to get around. Alvor is great with the boardwalk & the restaurants are easily accessible. Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,648 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Cascais like Alvor

There are several promenades by the sea, towards Estoril or Guia where you can easily use the scooter. But as far as remember Alvor (not going there for a few years) Cascais is more hilly. Whatch this vídeo of the region to have an idea m.youtube.com/watch…

Edited: 22 September 2013, 14:02
yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Cascais like Alvor

I havent been to Cascais but have studied it and know people who visit, I have been to Alvor several times ,to visit for an hour or so, as i usually stay in nearby Lagos.

I would say Cascais is nothing like Alvor,apart from the fact that it is near the sea.

I imagine you will get more of a Portugal feel ,and a more upmarket resort.

Less high rise buildings

I intend to visit Cascais in the near future

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Cascais like Alvor

Cascais from in spring to autumn is usually lovely.

I remember it over 40 years ago when we lived in Estoril and it was one of the places where deposed European royals lived. It was also very Portuguese, The Municipal market used to sell live poultry and live wabbits!

Its changed a lot now. It is now an upmarket-suburb of Lisbon.

The old town is totally pedestrianised as is the sea-front walk from Cascais to Estoril, as mentioned above.

So very few problems with mobility scooters.

If you want a long beach and don't have a car, you need to the train along the linha da Cascais to Estoril, Carcavelos, Oeiras or Paço dos Arcos. (10-15 minutes)

The other thing about Cascais is that there are few "cheap and cheerfuls" like Alvor. It is now a favorite destination for wealthy Spanish holidaymakres. There are food courts and pizzarias, etc.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Cascais like Alvor

Having visited now , I highly recommend it.

As I guessed it is nothing like Alvor , it is more like a proper town or city.

9. Re: Is Cascais like Alvor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 05:18