We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fatima; worth it?

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
450 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Fatima; worth it?

As a non Christian, I am wondering if it is worth going to Fatima.I'll be driving so its not too much out of my way, but it will be there in mid June, and not on the 13th, so there probably will be no pilgrimages. Ideas?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
149 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fatima; worth it?

Hi

Im sure that you'll find some interesting things to see in Fátima beside religion. Historical and architectural subjects always worth it. It depends on your interests

USA
Level Contributor
388 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fatima; worth it?

Wow, that is a difficult question to answer not knowing much about you :-)

Are you interested enough to visit the old churches in California ( like one in Carmel, not in same scale of course) Would you be compelled to see the Tarbenacle if you were in Salt Lake City? Or the National cathedral in DC?

Fatima is a big basilica with the typical adornments. The square is enormous, and there are additional small chapels, place to light prayer candles. And nearby is the home of Lucinda, one of the children who saw the visions. Unless you have been inculcated with the story of Fatima or interested in its history or cultural aspects, I am afraid Fatima will be just big domed building and statues in the middle of little.

That said, it is a slice of life in Portugal. The earnest devotion and the fervent prayers and hope seen on the faces of the worshippers there cannot help but touch your heart whether or not you are a christian.

I guess it's your decision. I actually would prefer not to be there on the 13th because I don't do crowds.

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
450 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fatima; worth it?

Thanks for answering. One more factor: I do appreciate candlelight vigils and pilgrims approaching a shrine on their knees (even though it makes me feel like a voyeur). When is it most likely I'll see that in mid June? I've seen similar sites in Brittany and in Mexico so wonder if its redundant. If I had three months instead of three weeks to see Portugal (with Santiago de Compostela too, by car; I'm old) it would be an easier decision.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,546 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fatima; worth it?

Pilgrims on their knees around the small chapel where the virgin supposedly appeared are there every time of the year. The 13th of june it's not a big date, maybe a few more persons but not that much, if it was May 13, August or October then you would have the big pilgrimages. Fátima is easily acessible from A1 highway and if you are just curious you can do an half a day or just a few hours stop and then move on to your next destination. There are 2 basilicas, very different from each other, there are exhibitions with the gifts which pilgrims in the course of time have been presenting to our lady in the rectory building of the shrine of Fatima. The articles exhibited are of the most varied order, there's the crown of our lady with the bullet from the attempt on John Paul II. There's the houses of the three shepherd children who saw our lady, here you can have a vague idea of ​​what life was like for these children. Otherwise it's just a not very nice huge commercial place.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
122 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fatima; worth it?

Even declaring yourself a non Christian, your intimate is willing to go in search of something, or, otherwise, you wouldnt consider it as a possibility. It is a mystical place, from which emanates an indescritible peace and deserves a stop. Yes, there are pillgrims every day of the year. Some days more and some days less. Not far from Fatima there is one of the most interesting towns in |Portugal - Marvao (eagles nest). It is a wonderfull walled medieval place from which you can see, at one side Portugal and on the other side, Spain. Have a good trip.

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
450 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fatima; worth it?

What a sensitive reply. thank you.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,180 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fatima; worth it?

I found Fatima a very moving, spiritual experience. There is, as Nadia says, a very mystical feeling about the place. It was an experience I will never forget.

Enjoy!

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
690 posts
797 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fatima; worth it?

Let me start by saying that as a non-Catholic...non-religious person, Fatima was a moving experience. My wife is a devout Catholic, so our visits to Fatima, Lourdes and Nevers last year, were for her. I have to tell you that I experienced such a soothing and calming time visiting Fatima. It was so incredible that we added a second visit by adding a 10 hour drive from Badajos Spain to

Fatima to Madrid, just to visit the shrine one more time.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,905 posts
943 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fatima; worth it?

I could be wrong but as others have said Fatima is really a place of pilgrimage for Catholics, however close by to Fatima are the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Batalha - church and cloisters and Alcobaca - abbey and church. They are both marvellous.

Marvao we love but it is two hours drive at least from Fatima

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
690 posts
797 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fatima; worth it?

Thanks Normadic. We are going back to Fatima again, and will be checking the other sites as you have mentioned. Thanks for the post.

Get answers to your questions about Fatima