We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

smoking

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
louise
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
smoking

hello

i wondering if someone can help me i am of to portugal in a few days time and my plane stops over in lisbon for a while could someone please tell me whether smokking is allowed in the airport.

Many thanks

Portugal
Level Contributor
97 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: smoking

There are special areas where smoking is allowed, either in the "arrivals" and in the "departures", and in the "transit zone" also.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: smoking

The last time I was in this airport, there were areas clearly marked as NO SMOKING. However, many people were smoking in these areas, hiding in corners etc. I was pretty well disgusted.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: smoking

Yes, smoking is allowed in designated areas, usually posts with smoking allowed signs on them.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,686 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: smoking

Just to contribute for future readers that the new 'No Smoking' laws come into force on 1.1.08 here in Portugal and that, like much of the rest of Europe, smoking will be almost always prohibited in, for example airports, bus and train stations (it is already prohibited on the buses and trains themselves), government offices, schools, hospitals, sports stadiums and similar buildings plus, and this is where it gets complicated and which few people (myself included) properly understand, in most cafes, bars and restaurants etc unless...

there then follows a whole list of stuff with exceptions and exemptions in great numbers.

I am a non-smoker so it doesn't affect me directly. Don't necessarily assume that the absence of a no-smoking sign means smoking is allowed. In that case I would watch out for what the locals do!

As an example I often see policemen, in uniform, smoking while on duty which I am fairly certain you would never see in Northern Europe or USA/Canada. So if they are, you can I guess!

5. Re: smoking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 13:21