We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time do people eat dinner in Lisbon?

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What time do people eat dinner in Lisbon?

Would booking a table for dinner at 8 be too early, or would places still be busy then?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
487 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What time do people eat dinner in Lisbon?

Yes, we start having dinner around 8. At 9 will be busy...

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What time do people eat dinner in Lisbon?

Most places will serve dinner between 8pm and 11pm. Some will start at 7pm (mostly the tourist ones, most will be ok if you show up until 12pm as long as they are busy, and a few (not many and in bar areas mostly) will go on until 1am. So if you show up at 8pm you are not to early and are likely to beat the crowd!

lisboa
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What time do people eat dinner in Lisbon?

Hi.

It really depends on the place and on where it is located but if you, just like me, don't like to have dinner on an empty room, then try not to book for 8pm. Nine o'clock would be perfect or later if during weekend. If you don't mind about empty places then it is fine. Usually restaurants start serving dinner around 7/7.30.

Lis

Birmingham
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What time do people eat dinner in Lisbon?

Thanks everyone for their help - that's great

Heiloo, The...
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What time do people eat dinner in Lisbon?

hi, i think that there is something you should know about Portugal and it applies to Spain and Italy as well. Contrary to other Northern European countries, people usually have a warm lunch. Now if it is during the week, it is just a normal routine and peopel have betwen 1 and 1.5 hrs for lunch. That means that most people will not be hungry at 8 in the evening. During the weekends lunches tend to be the main event of the day and people will spend a lot of time with family and friends eating and chatting. Therefore you will see that restaurants only tend the get busy (if it is not a tourist type restraurant) late in the evenings. There are plenty of cervejerias in Lisbon at are open until 2 am with kitchen closing around 1 am.

What I would suggest is, that you too enjoy a nice lunch and take your time. Then you will have dinner also late. It is my experience (and friends have agreed to this) that if you go to a well known places such as Cervejeria Trinidad or Portugalia in the centre, you will find that the lunch time admosphere is completely different then in the evenings and that is because during lunch time you will hardly find any tourists. Perhaps the restaurants that I have mentioned are not the best examples because the portuguese will always be the majority in there, but you know what I mean. I would say, have a nice long lunch, then walk it all off by sight seeing (and perhaps pick out a small restaurant where you want to have dinner in the evening), take a small beer or some Port at 6, have a snooze around 7 and go out for dinner at 09.30 then you live life the portuguese way. And you know what they say, when in Rome.........

For got to say, try some Vinho Verde when you are having fish or shell fish. It is light, not expensive (ranging from €5-€10 depending on which one you select) and it tastes really fresh & nice. Alcohol % varies from 9-11% approximately. Casal Carcia, Quita de Aveleda, Gazela (very light), Moelhas (not sure if I spelled that one correctly) but in general they all taste good with your food.

Hope this helps and enjoy Lisboa!

6. Re: What time do people eat dinner in Lisbon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 21:17