We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wheelchair user

Sth Wales
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
wheelchair user

hi

we are a family of 6 travelling to Lisbon for Easter.

My mum uses a wheelchair, but is able to walk a little.

My worry is that we cannot get onto public transport. Is it easy to get on and off public transport in Lisbon with a wheelchair?

I enquired about a private trip to Fatima and was quoted 800 euros which I thought too much.

any help would be appreciated

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wheelchair user

I'm afraid I'm not an expert on wheelchair accessible transport in Lisbon, however, I would agree that 800 euros is a ridiculous price for your trup to Fatima.

If you have anyone in your family that doesn't mind driving then you could surely rent a wheelchair accessible vehicle for a day or two to go to Fatima. I have brought my parents there, my mother also uses a wheelchair, and it's really a fairly simple trip from Lisbon - about one hour on the A1 motorway.

As regards Lisbon, some metro stations have lifts, but I don't think all have. I assume you are aware that Lisbon in general is a very hilly city, with cobbled foothpaths, so it's not the easiest city from a wheelchair point of view. That said, it is a family friendly city and you should enjoy yourself.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,424 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wheelchair user

I'm afraid I'm not an expert on wheelchair access either but you may be able to manage with the airport bus. Not sure about the local buses. There are usually lots of steps with metro stations, would imagine that it would be extremely difficult with a wheelchair. As the previous post said, Lisbon is very hilly and not really wheel chair friendly. Good luck, hope you enjoy your stay.

Sth Wales
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wheelchair user

Hi both

thanks for your replies.

The reason we are going to Lisbon in particular is that it is my brothers wish. He has been diagnosed with Motor Neuron Disease and wanted to visit Fatima.

(he is still mobile though. My mum wanted to come as well, hence the problem.

My initial choice was to stay somewhere along the coast, but the travel agent couldn't help me.

Guess it will be taxi's most of the time.

thanks again, at least I know what i'm up against.

takecare

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,424 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wheelchair user

Hi SerenSthWales,

If you base yourself in central Lisbon Gray Line organises day tours with official guides to Fatima.

I know they pick up from certain hotels, so this may be an option to explore.

Have a look at the website www.tours.cityrama.pt or you could e-mail them at circuitos@cityrama.pt. Perhaps you could ask them if their tours are wheel chair friendly.

I am not sure whether you are aware but Easyjet operates flights from Bristol to Lisbon. I travelled on these flights last week and everything went according to plan with no delays.

Good luck!

Sth Wales
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wheelchair user

Hi fellow welshman

i'm going to take a look at that site now.

We are flying from Bristol with easijet. THey know aboutmum, so that should be ok.

thanks again for web-site. i'll let you knowhow it goes

take care

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: wheelchair user

Hi,

Most metro stations in Lisbon are equiped with easy to use lifts to the surface. Check the network diagram (www.metrolisboa.pt/Default.aspx?tabid=79) for the symbol indicating the station has a lift. I noticed that for some reason some stations having a lift (for instance Baixa-Chiado) are not indicated as such in the diagram though...

All buses are low floor and equiped with a secure spot for wheelchairs. The only problem is that drivers are not very used to using them and sometimes take a bit of time securing the wheelchair.

You will find it much more problematic to pass in some streets (sidewalks are often occupied with poorly parked cars) or to access some restaurants and public buidings. Hope it will improve though.

Sth Wales
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wheelchair user

Hi Vespucio

thanks. I had a look at the site, unfortunatly I don't speak Portugese and cannot find a link for english.

I think taxi's are going to be my best option.

any idea how much a taxi would cost from Lisbon to fatima? (for 6 people)

thanks again

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,424 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wheelchair user

While you are waiting for an answer, go to the search box and type in "taxi to Fatima".

There is a previous topic : -

"Cost_and_how_to_get_a_taxi_from_Lisbon_airport_to_Fatima-Lisbon_Estremadura.html".

I am not sure how much a taxi is going to cost but it will be expensive. As there is six of you it will not be possible to fit into a standard taxi. May have to consider a mini bus or take two taxis instead.

Hope this helps a little.

9. Re: wheelchair user

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 17:16