We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get around

narie2
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to get around

I´ve heard of 3 areas in lissabon I most see:

Alfama

barrio alto

Baxia

But I can´t find them on the map. I´m staying close to avenida de liberdade around praca Marques de Pombal. How do I get there? Were are they situated? closer the the coast or closer to the airport? I can´t figure it out.

Help me please!

London, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get around

Just got back from a weekend in Lisbon. We also stayed near the Marques de Pombal. These places are all very close to each other towards the coast. You will be able to pick up a local area map at your hotel/tourist info but most guide books will also have them marked.

You can walk straight down the Avenida de Liberdade to the Baxia which will take about 15 mins. It's down hill all the way (but up hill on the way back)!

The Barrio Alto and Alfama are on either side of the Baxia up some very steep hills. Get the elevator up to the Barrio alto and the tram (the trams are part of the Lisbon experience!)up to the Alfama. Alternatively the tube/metro system is easy to use, safe and quick, for the Barrio alto get off at Baxio-Chiado.

Have a wonderful time and don't foreget to try the famous custard tarts!

narie2
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get around

Thank´s for your answer! Now I understand more :).

Leaving tomorrow and I´m really looking forward to it.

narie2
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get around

And where is Belem?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
820 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get around

for that, u have to take the tram. here's how. at the end of Ave. de Liberdade is the main walking street called Rua Augusta. go through that and pass through the big imposing arch, which opens to a big square called Terreiro do Paço. around this square are various tram stops where u can catch the one which goes to Belem, i'm just not sure of the number/line.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get around

The tram for Belem is the big yellow double 'space age' tram. All the other trams are the small historic ones. It begins its service at Praca da Figueira. You cannot miss it as it is the only tram like it in Lisbon.

London, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get around

You want the number 15 tram to Belem. It leaves from the Praca de F......sorry can't remember the name but it's the one where most of the buses and trams leave from near the Rossio. If you have a day travel card/tourist card it also works for this. They are very frequent and the journay takes about 20mins.

7. Re: How to get around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 17:19