We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lisbon airport to Porto by Rail (sorry to steal the title!)

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Lisbon airport to Porto by Rail (sorry to steal the title!)

I'll be arriving on July 3rd at LIS airport, around 8:30am.

I'm heading to Porto -- probably by rail.

Can anyone give me advice on:

1) The best way to get from the airport to the train station (Oriente, I believe?).

2) If my flight lands at 8:30am, what time would I probably be at the train station?

3) Do I need to buy tickets in advance? I'd prefer to just buy tickets (2) when I get to the train station, since so many things could delay me -- will this be a problem?

Thanks!

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lisbon airport to Porto by Rail (sorry to steal the title!)

Two Carris bus routes link the airport and the Oriente Train Station. They #5 and #44. Landing at 8:30 am, you need to count on about 45-60 minutes to get off the plane (especially if you don't get a gate, and have to exit to the tarmac and board a bus), clear Passport Control, pick up your luggage off the carousel and get outside to the bus stop. Not sure how long it takes, but you can get that information on the Carris WeBsite.

Looking at the map, probably about 45 minutes at the most. I would think that you could easily get tickets at the station for Porto, since it's not the weekend.

However, the Alfa Pendular (fast train) may be booked.

Cubsir will definitely be on with times etc of the trains for you.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,025 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lisbon airport to Porto by Rail (sorry to steal the title!)

To confirm

1. The bus journey takes about 7 minutes on the 44 once you are on board. The number 5 goes rather a long way round and takes nearer 20. The 44 runs every 12 minutes and there is a new bus (Aeroshuttle or number 96) which also goes to Oriente. Number 44 leaves from the stop across 2 roads outside the arrivals hall; Aeroshutle from right outside. Cash fare on 44 is €1.35, so make sure you have some change about you. Aeroshuttle I believe costs €3 but I haven't used this one yet. (Will be doing so in a month)

2. An unknown quantity indeed! I'd agree, sometime between 930 and 1000 so probably expecting to catch the 0939 is taking a chance. If you miss the 1009 and with a 90 minute wait, there is a large shopping centre with food court next to the Oriente station. The station itself is a bit grey and featureless.

3. You shouldn't have a problem getting tickets on the day for a Thursday morning journey. I reckon if you reserve in advance and miss your train (all seats are sold for a specific seat on a specific train) you will have more of performance getting the ticket changed on arrival. Either way, if you miss your train or can't get a ticket for the next one you will have to wait. If you wish to book on line, you can do so at www.cp.pt and print your own ticket but read the 'small print' carefully!

You can buy tickets at the station from the ticket machines with credit card or from the ticket office.

Morning trains Oriente to Porto are at

0939 (IC) 1009 (AP), 1139 (IC), 1209 (AP)

IC trains take 3 hours and are a little bit cheaper than AP which take 2hrs 35 minutes.

AP fare €37.50, €28.50 by IC.

Hoping all that helps; enjoy your trip.

3. Re: Lisbon airport to Porto by Rail (sorry to steal the title!)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 09:26