We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight train to Madrid

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
49 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight train to Madrid

Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase reservations for the overnight train from Lisbon to Madrid online? I believe the train is called Lusitania. I already have a Eurailpass so i just need to pay for the reservation.

I'm worried that if I wait until I get to Portugal, the double sleepers might already be taken. I arrive in Lisbon on the 13th of December and will be traveling on December 15th.

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,169 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight train to Madrid

Unfortunately, Portuguese railways at present does not have an online booking facility for this service.

See:

www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do…

Lisbon
Level Contributor
678 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight train to Madrid

Are you sure you don't want to take the plane? It is faster and normally cheaper. Check in www.easyjet.com and www.vueling.com. The airport of Lisbon it is really close to the city centre and in Madrid, if I'm not mistaken, the airport is connected to the city by subway.

Have a nice trip!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight train to Madrid

Tydeee,

When we booked on this service in 2006 we had to do it through our travel agent, so I imagine that you would have to do the same to make sure you have a booking...

Joontns seems to have something against train travel, but I have to say the trip from Lisbon to Madrid was quite fun.

The trains are quite nice (we had sprung for the most expensive berths). The "first" class carriage was partly out of commission, so we slept in a double berth in the second - the only real difference was that the first class had a shower, which we were able to use in the morning. The staff were very friendly, the dining room was ok and the bunks were quite comfortable (although I find it imposible to sleep on trains)....

It was all a little Agatha Christie and all quite enjoyable...

Plus they travel overnight, so you wake up in a new city, which is kind of fun...

I wouldn't do it every time, but it made a nice change from flying.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
49 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight train to Madrid

Thanks for the help guys. I rather not fly only because I fly all the time. I quite like taking the train.

5. Re: Overnight train to Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 22:18