We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Sintra

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Sintra

I will be speniding 2 days in Lisbon and wondering if is feasible to take the better part of the second day o visit Sintra?

If so, where can I find train tiometables? I read it takes about 35 min. I will be probably doing ths on a Monday. Are there major sights that will be closed in Sintra that areworth the detour? What is there to do min Sintra on a half day visit? I would be coming from a 4 day stay in Lagos so unless Sintra beach is really worth it I will probably skip it.

Thanks for any advice.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Sintra

Obviously it is feasible but you can't really get a glimpse of Lisbon in less than four full days. Sintra on the other hand deserves an overnight or at least a day trip. I would pick one and save the other for another trip, otherwise you risk seeing neither!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,694 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Sintra

Sintra is not on the coast - no beach there.

It does have a large number of historic sites so if that's your thing take a look at the local council website www.cm-sintra.pt which has information in English about what to see and do there including opening hours and prices. (The site does seem to be misbehaving at the moment but I assure you that the information is there!)

You don't really need a train timetable as the trains between Lisbon Rossio station and Sintra run every 20/30 minutes seven days a week until the early hours, more frequently at rush hour.

However if you do want it there is a printable version of the weekdays timetable

at cp.pt/StaticFiles/Imagens/PDF/Passageiros/ho…

Hope that helps.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Sintra

Thanks guys. Sintra looks REALLY nice. I am wonderng if I cannot spare a few hours on the second day in Lisbon to go there? I will be going back to Lisbon one way anyways, to see all sights and meuseums...

Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Sintra

We recently stopped in Lisbon for only one day while on a transatlantic cruise and were pleased to book a tour of Lisbon and Sintra with www.foryougotours.pt. I had investigated several other tour companies and found this one the most reasonable. Our tour guide was pleasant, informative, and willing to bring us anyplace we wanted to go. We were able to tour the Pena Palace and saw all the main sights of Lisbon, Sinra, Cascais and Estoril. There is no way we would have been able to see so much if we tried to do this on our own!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,534 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Sintra

I know people that land in Charles de Gaule take the train to Disneyland spend 4/5 days there and then leave for Charles de Gaule without seting foot in Paris and they actualy never been to Paris before.

New York City
Level Contributor
11 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Sintra

We recently spent four days in Lisbon, one of which was "jet lag day" with limited activity. We found this a satisfactory time there. We used most of one day for a trip to Sintra, which took us a little over five hours in total. As others have posted, the train leaves every twenty minutes, so you do not need to plan your day around it. The train trip takes 40 minutes each way.

There are three sights in Sintra, the National Palace in town, plus the Pena Palace and the Moorish Castle up the mountain. You get an all day ticket on the 434 bus to get to the latter two. This bus runs about every half hour, so unless you want to spend your afternoon constantly checking your watch, one usually spends some time waiting for a bus. We did not do the Moorish Castle ruins, which involves some steep climbing. The two palaces are different enough (three centuries apart) to see both.

We got a Lisbon pass which covered museums and all public transport including the train out to Sintra. The pass is not worthwhile on Sundays, when museums are free.

The train trip to Sintra passes thru a lot of really depressing suburbs, not pretty countryside.

Enjoy you trip!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
772 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Sintra

Spartac

Its a pity that you are not spending more time in Lisbon. Sintra is a magical place and you could easily spent the whole day there. You could take a short trip out to Cascais which is on the beach. It is a beautiul small town about 35 minutes by train from Lisbon. Enjoy your stay in Lisbon.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Sintra

Thanks for the volume of replies and advice. I guess I will stick to Lisbon then. I will be back for Sintra and other places one day

9. Re: Day trip to Sintra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2009, 07:35