We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need suggestions for itinerary Porto to Lisbon

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
7 posts
Save Topic
need suggestions for itinerary Porto to Lisbon

My husband and I are travelling to Porto in July - will stay in Porto for 3 days, then on to a poussada in Guimaraes for 2 days. We have 6 more days in Portugal and will be returning from Lisbon - any ideas as to how we should spend the rest of our holiday?

We like a bit of culture,good food and wine, not lying on a beach.

Obrigado,

kathrynireland

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need suggestions for itinerary Porto to Lisbon

Hhhi Kathrynireland,

The usual suspects :Coimbra, Batalha, Alcobaça, Tomar and Óbidos. Google them out.

You can also have a look at Aveiro, Nazaré and Fátima on-line and see what do you make of them.

Hope this helps

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need suggestions for itinerary Porto to Lisbon

You might want to take a look at one of the better guide books regarding the central of the country to see what and where you'd like to visit.

What one of us proposes may not correspond with your wishes. Have you done your homework?

tptr

Ireland
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: need suggestions for itinerary Porto to Lisbon

Thank you Alface,

I have read so much it's a challenge to pick out the best places to visit in a short time. We had been thinking of Evora but I think it will have to be next time!

Thanks again,

Kathrynireland

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need suggestions for itinerary Porto to Lisbon

Kathyrn,

If you have a car I think you'll have enough time to visit Evora. I wouldn't leave it out, it's a lovely place. Apart from that I would agree with Alface's suggestions, especially Coimbra, Tomar and Obidos.

Personally I find Aveiro somewhat dull, it's got a nice canal but that's about it.

Of course as an alternative to all this, you could go inland to the Beira uplands, taking in Viseu, Guarda, Seia, Castelo Branco and Evora. It's got some great scenery and it's a part of Portugal most visitors don't get to see. Only really possible with a car however.

Have a nice holiday.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need suggestions for itinerary Porto to Lisbon

I was under the impression you wanted cities between Lisbon and OPorto that's why I didn't suggest Évora, marvellous museum town, Vila Viçosa and it's palace relatively close by are also splendid.

You have read the guides now you must chose cause you really can't see everything :)

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need suggestions for itinerary Porto to Lisbon

If you don't mind a little driving, get a GPS (Garmin) for your rental car and go to the Serra da Estrala mountains (big hills really). We flew into Porto and drove to the highest point (Torre) in mainland Portugal and spent 2 days driving around the region (GPS is very helpful). Great views driving up and down & they still had some snow on the hillsides (May 4, 2009). It is only 2.5 hours from Porto via A-1 & E80, or you could take a slower pace along the river (visit a vineyard or two). Maybe stop for lunch at the Bread Museum (Museu do Pao) which has a restaurant overlooking Seia. After Seia, go on to Coimbra, Sintra, and then Lisbon. You'll really like northern Portugal!

Ireland
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: need suggestions for itinerary Porto to Lisbon

Thank you so much for your suggestions. We will have a car and hope to see as much as possible without wearing ourselves out!

We have been to the western Algarve several times and are so looking forward to seeing "real" Portugal.

Obrigado,

Kathrynireland

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need suggestions for itinerary Porto to Lisbon

De nada Kathrynireland. And do have fun :)

9. Re: need suggestions for itinerary Porto to Lisbon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2009, 05:19