We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lisbon+Sintra.. where else??

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
860 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Lisbon+Sintra.. where else??

Hello, my parents and I will be doing a European trip involving UK, Portugal, Spain and Italy before flying back to our home country in Indonesia.

I've always, always wanted to visit Lisbon so can not miss that! I have arranged to spend 4 nights in Lisbon + 2 nights in Sintra.. but now I am thinking that maybe we could fit in other destination in Portugal? Will we get bored? Could we fit in Porto? (another place in Portugal I want to visit as well)

You may be wondering why we spend so much time in Sintra as it is petite and close to Lisbon anyway but I figured if we want to stay happy&healthy we MUST fit in at least 2 nights in a relaxing small town. In total, our European trip will take 18 days. I think we'll go crazy if we try to fit in too many big cities :)

muito obrigado!! :)

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lisbon+Sintra.. where else??

If you have 6 nights in Portugal, then you will have enough time to spend at least one night in Porto, should you wish. It is a simple, comfortable, three-hour train trip from Lisbon to Porto.

However, given that you are planning to visit 4 countries in 18 days, perhaps you might want to spend the six days around the Lisbon area in order to relax. Sintra is certainly a good place for relaxation. As for getting bored, I really doubt it. Even though you haven't mentioned what your specific interests are, there is more than enought to do in the Lisbon area for six days.

I would suggest it's really up to you to choose, but don't put yourself under too much pressure as you already have what sounds like a hectic schedule.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
860 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lisbon+Sintra.. where else??

hello and thank you for your reply HCMh :)

well if ur interested, this is our rough itinerary:

Depart from Jakarta.

London 3 nights, Lisbon 4 nights, Sintra 2 nights, Valencia 4 nights, Milan/Bologna 2 nights.

Depart from Milan.

could we possibly fit in Porto? We could leave/enter Portugal from Porto as there are direct flights London-Porto or Porto-Valencia.. so no need to take return trains from Lisbon

cheers! Prim

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lisbon+Sintra.. where else??

Sintra is the romantic place to be and believe me that it is one of the best places to rest in the middle of a trip because over there you will get fresh air, good water and above all positive energies. It is a place where all artists go to get inspiration.

If possible go to Ericeira 35km from Sintra to get some fresh seafood and look at that marvelous phishing village on the rough atlantic seaside. it is the capital of surf in Portugal!

Atenciously,

Patrick

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lisbon+Sintra.. where else??

Hi again Primrose,

Yes I see no problem with Porto as an entry / exit point. As you say there are direct flights from London, various choices (Ryanair from Stansted can be cheap if booked in advance). I'm not sure if flights to Valencia run all year round, you will need to check that. But anyway, as a staring or finishing point of your trip to Portugal, I think you can fit in Porto, probably too much hassle to do it in between.

By they way, not that you asked, but Milan and Bologna in 2 days/nights...ouch!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
860 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lisbon+Sintra.. where else??

Hello and thanks again for all the wonderful insights :) will probably do Porto at the beginning/end of the Portugal trip.. will have to ask parents if they are okay with this (they're not as fit as they used to be)

Patrick , love the idea of going to Ericeira although coming from Indonesia we have a plethora of beaches here, may be the best ones in the world hehehe.. we'll think about it.

HMCh the last 2 nights would be spent in either Bologna or Milan, not both.. quite shortish I know but Milan (near Bologna) have a flight to Jakarta via Spore, so that's why we opt for this particular area..

Obrigado, Prim

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lisbon+Sintra.. where else??

Lisbon is wonderful, I promise. You shouldn't be disappointed. Have a look at the Top Questions for some good information the DEs have complied on accommodation, sightseeing, food etc.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g189158-s204/Lisbon:P…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20335-Three_da…

Sintra: You could do Sintra as a day trip, and use the extra night to somewhere else. Sintra is easy to get to on the train, so you don't have to stay there (unless you want to, of course).

I am going to Porto for the first time in December, so I can't comment, other than to say I am excited to be going there.

If you wanted to fit in another trip from Lisbon, I would suggest a night or two in Evora. It's a lovely little university town, with a city wall, an aqueduct into which houses have been built, a Roman temple, a profoundly odd museum full of old but slightly mouldering art, furniture and luggage, some gold candlesticks that will make you gasp, and a chapel made of bones.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189106-i2345-k107…

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
860 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lisbon+Sintra.. where else??

Tattoosydney wow, thank you for the info :) Have decided to stay in Sintra for 2 nights as I said, we'd need somewhere small to relax and just chill in between the hectic itinerary! lol! But Porto is indeed a very interesting place I'd want to visit... decisions, decisions @_@

Evora would be too cold unfortunately, when we get there (January)

johannesburg,southaf...
Level Contributor
665 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lisbon+Sintra.. where else??

Hi there Tattoosydney,

Glad to hear you shouting the praises of Evora - we will be ending our trip by staying three nights in this area (visitng Marvao, Estremoz and Evora)after our week in Lisbon and week in the north and mid mountain regions of the country(Amarante,Guimaraes, Amares and Manteigas).Know that our two and a half week whirlwind tour will already be followed by a second trip to this fascinating country in the not-too-distant future.

Best regards.

9. Re: Lisbon+Sintra.. where else??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2010, 05:17