We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World Travel Awards - Lisbon wins (Thrice)

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
World Travel Awards - Lisbon wins (Thrice)

Hi,

On the last 17 of October the World Travel Awards winners were unveiled at Marriott Praia D’El Rey in Óbidos.

Lisbon won on three categories:

Europe's Leading Destination

Europe's Leading City Break Destination and

Europe's Leading Cruise Destination

www.worldtravelawards.com/winners2009-8

Also Praia d'el Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort, where the event was held, won the Europe's Leading Golf & Leisure Resort.

It seems that tourists can pat themselves on the back for choosing to visit Lisbon and finding out what locals knew all along: Lisbon Rocks!

Cheers

Real Embrace Portugal
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Lisbonne a Pied - Visites Guidees
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Treino de Mar
Sightseeing Tours
Yellow Cab TT Tours
City Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: World Travel Awards - Lisbon wins (Thrice)

Lisbon certainly rocks, but not because of winning this meaningless platitude.

Can anyone tell me (without using google) who won the previous editions?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: World Travel Awards - Lisbon wins (Thrice)

Didn't mean to disturb you with meaningless posts, sorry about that HCMh.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: World Travel Awards - Lisbon wins (Thrice)

Alface, I meant no offense to you or to Lisbon, I was just giving an opinion on this modern-day culture of awards for everything and anything.

It seems like not a day can go by without an awards ceremony – New Seven Wonders of the World, Sports Oscars, Best Young Dominos Player, Best Bacalhau Chef in Zimbabwe….it just seems to go on and on.

Anyway, I’ve probably taken this thread right off-topic so apologies to all.

Mentioned in this post
johannesburg,southaf...
Level Contributor
665 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: World Travel Awards - Lisbon wins (Thrice)

Hi there -

I guess it's all about whether you see the glass half full or half empty. Clearly Alface is one of the former - I find positive thinking usually ends up with positive results. Yes, it is true that award ceremonies are really nothing more than marketing ploys to get publicity for one's service or product - I should know as my background is strategic planning in two international ad agencies - one American and one French.

But was I glad to hear that Lisbon won this award - the advertising definitely worked on me - and makes my expectations even greater for our up and coming trip to Lisbon and Portugal.

Sincere regards.

Mentioned in this post
Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: World Travel Awards - Lisbon wins (Thrice)

Hi travelworld23,

I can understand that you might feel pleased to be planning a trip to a city that has won a “Best Destination” award – I guess it’s better than winning a “worse destination” award.

But with the following quote you make my point more eloquently than I did:

“Yes, it is true that award ceremonies are really nothing more than marketing ploys to get publicity for one's service or product”

Exactly. That’s the main reason this kind of award irritates me – it should not be lost on anyone that this award was voted on by travel agents, a vested interest if ever there was one.

The only result of this kind of thing, as far as I can tell, is that the travel industry drums up some publicity, the people of Lisbon (or wherever) get to have a warm feeling for a few days, the professional party goers get to sip some more champagne and the rest of the world pays no attention.

johannesburg,southaf...
Level Contributor
665 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: World Travel Awards - Lisbon wins (Thrice)

Hi there HCMh,

Yes, I did say "marketing ploy" but having been behind the scenes of brands and companies that have won and lost corporate awards, advertising awards, social investment awards, entrepreneurial awards, all of the companies and people involved in the winning or losing projects and companies actually usually worked very hard to get to where they are - winners and losers.

So one could argue that award exercises actually motivate people in all fields from medecine to architecture to education to business to reach heights never before achieved.

And yes, there is an aspect of "ploy" associated with all of this - simply because we are all human beings with egos and the need to be recognised - at least let us congratulate those who go further than others because of the need to be in the limelight.

Regarding the specific awards that Alface mentioned - in line with the above, one has to believe that the winning airlines, hotels, car rental companies etc. must have gone further than their competitors to be recognized as they have been.

To be fair to your point of view, possibly the judges in the travel industry may just tend to vote for those that bring in the most business - possibly not really the very best in a category. It would be interesting to get site of the criteria used in the judging and who the judges are - is the criteria list actually able to capture the experience of the guest/client utilising the service being judged - or is the criteria a very rational non-emotive checklist of items that only the most luxurious/expensive services could ever really offer?

I guess what I am really saying - as with all debates on any subject there are always pros and cons - and that is why in debating competitions one always has one person speaking for and one person speaking against a motion - it is not so much that one is right and the other wrong - usually the winner just argues his/her point better than the loser. If I had to judge the winner versus the loser in the Alface case - I would have to vote in his favour simply because of the points I made regarding the benefits derived from running award ceremonies.

Sincere regards - and keep debating - TA needs this calibre of discussion - I do not believe we should merely use this forum to list a hotel for a family of ten that want five rooms for euros 100 or a restaurant that opens at 4pm for dinner when everyone else eats at 9pm/etc!!

7. Re: World Travel Awards - Lisbon wins (Thrice)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 00:16
Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: World Travel Awards - Lisbon wins (Thrice)

I understand all of that and I actually agree with a lot of it. I can tolerate awards made on the basis of some kind of objective criteria, such as best hotel or best airline (although I still think there are too many awards ceremonies out there).

But for example: “Best destination”?

Says who? Based on what? Again, I’m not having a go at Lisbon, which is a great place to visit in my opinion, but who decided it’s the “Best”? And what does that really mean? I would argue it means very little. As far as I’m concerned, my Best Destination is my next one, wherever it may be.

Footnote No 1: if you take a look at the travel awards website, you’ll see that London won “Best Destination” in 2008. At the same time it was also voted “Dirtiest and Dearest” city in Tripadvisor visitor survey, check this link:

www.breakingnews.ie/world/mhojcwqlqley/rss2/

I would actually have some faith in the Tripadvisor survey, since it was presumably voted on by visitors. So how can the “Dearest and Dirtiest” city be the “Best Destination”?

Footnote No 2: “If I had to judge the winner versus the loser in the Alface case - I would have to vote in his favour.” I never intended this to be HCMh vs. Alface and made it clear in my second post I meant no offence to him or Lisbon.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: World Travel Awards - Lisbon wins (Thrice)

I understand all of that and I actually agree with a lot of it. I can tolerate awards made on the basis of some kind of objective criteria, such as best hotel or best airline (although I still think there are too many awards ceremonies out there).

But for example: “Best destination”?

Says who? Based on what? Again, I’m not having a go at Lisbon, which is a great place to visit in my opinion, but who decided it’s the “Best”? And what does that really mean? I would argue it means very little. As far as I’m concerned, my Best Destination is my next one, wherever it may be.

Note No 1: if you take a look at the travel awards website, you’ll see that London won “Best Destination” in 2008. At the same time it was also voted “Dirtiest and Dearest” city in Tripadvisor visitor survey, check this link:

www.breakingnews.ie/world/mhojcwqlqley/rss2/

I would actually have some faith in the Tripadvisor survey, since it was presumably voted on by visitors. So how can the “Dearest and Dirtiest” city be the “Best Destination”?

Note No 2: “If I had to judge the winner versus the loser in the Alface case - I would have to vote in his favour.” I never intended this to be HCMh vs. Alface and made it clear in my second post I meant no offence to him or Lisbon.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: World Travel Awards - Lisbon wins (Thrice)

HMCh, I find amazing that one's opinion on something gets right away taken the wrong way when it creates a debate - by debate I mean someone saying "yes" and someone else saying "no". Most of the time, if not all the time on this forum we get one way information, taken for granted. I find healthy a little exchange. But posts are already being taken off....

I agree entirely with your opinion exposed here - by stating this, why do I feel that I must now write that I mean nothing wrong, bad, or any disrespect to anyone not in agreement with you?

We need more acceptance of democracy on this forum.