We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is the lisbon card worth the price

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
is the lisbon card worth the price

Hello, we are going to be in Lisbon in march for 4 days, saturday to wednesday and I am trying to compare prices for the museums and churches and castles to see if is worth buying the Lisbon card ,on tuesday we are going to Sintra and will be arriving saturday around 2:30 at the Sofitel Liberdade.

Is there a site that will give entrance prices for all sites to compare.

Thank you

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is the lisbon card worth the price

I can offer you this: unless you are going for an huge "overdose" of museums it's not worth it. Buy the excellent value for money 1 day pass for 3.70 euros for all transportation in Lisbon (tube, bus, trams and funiculars) and just pay the inexpensive museum entrances separately.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is the lisbon card worth the price

I tend to agree - I have never bought a Lisboa card because I just couldn't see myself getting value out of it as I'm not a "see as much as possible in three days" kind of tourist... Most tourist sites in Lisbon are E5 (up from E2 when we first visited). Most churches are free unless you want to go into particular areas (such as the museum or the Roman ruins in the Se).

A 72 hour card costs E33.5 - which gets you in to a lot of places, and a discounted entry (usually 30% or less) for a lot of other places like the Oceanario. On my rough count, that means that you'd have to do at least 6 of the places the card gets you entry to (not including all the other major sites like the Se and other churches which are free which you would want to see) over three days to break even. Add in the fact that some places will be closed on Monday, then that seems like a lot of rushing around to get value for money. Moreover, you would be spending so much time at "attractions" that you would miss out on the best bit of Lisbon, which is wandering the streets, shopping, drinking coffee and watching the world go by...

If your purpose in buying the vard is the convenience of having a single card which deals with museum entry and transport fares, then I suppose it's worth it. If you aim if to save money, then unless you want to spend all day every day rushing from attraction to attraction, I suspect you'd be better just paying as you go.

PS - just in case you missed them, have a look at the Itineraries on the left of the page for some ideas about the "best" of Lisbon.

3. Re: is the lisbon card worth the price

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 November 2015, 09:44
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,901 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is the lisbon card worth the price

You can buy a one-day pass for the city buses, trams and Metro for €4,20. The card can be re-charged with the same pass for the next day and so on, but costing only €3,70 so keep the ticket.

The pass is NOT valid on either of the airport buses, except that if you board the airport bus at the airport to go into the city the ticket you receive is valid on any other city bus on the same day.

5. Re: is the lisbon card worth the price

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 November 2015, 09:44
6. Re: is the lisbon card worth the price

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2010, 03:16