We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intendente area

Pennington, New...
Level Contributor
196 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Intendente area

Well, our trip plans were put on hold due to a health problem. Now that issue is resolved and we were having a hard time finding an apartment to rent in March. With airfare booked, we jumped on a great looking place. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive. It appears we can practically throw a ball to the Intendente metro stop. Sadly, NOW we find the advice to avoid the area. Too late for that, but can you give me a realistic assessment of the area? 4 fit adults, city folks, but nonetheless, still seeking advice.

Thanks. (Hind-sight, and all that stuff, right?)

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intendente area

Let me tell you something before the others come to explain how you are going to hell cause of that :>:

Relax, the whole area between Martin Moniz and Arroios (along Almirante de Reis) is now a big multicultural chinatown full of packys and chinese and african stores. I find it quiet interesting and out of the tourists path - thank god-. That means you'll be able to avoid the awful tourist traps of Baixa and Chiado and eat well with the locals.

That been said Intendente specifically has more than its fare share of hookers who wont bother you unless you show some interests in their "services". Lisbon is a very safe city including Intendente. Yes the neighbourhood doesn't look great but it's just the look. It's not an unsafe area at all.

Obviously take care of your belongings and beware of pickpockets all over Lisbon (especially on tram 28 which doesn't go to Intendente) like in any other world city.

Cheers

Pennington, New...
Level Contributor
196 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intendente area

This was exactly the answer I was looking for! I paid for a vacation, and will take the baggage that comes with it. The apartment looks incredible! I went to college in a really, really bad part of a major city in the USA and took the subways and busses, and really didn't think too much of it. Of course, I was young and stupid, but ... here I am, 30 years later, doing the same thing!

I will definitely post when I return and let you know how all this turned out.

Thanks so much. I can't wait to finally see Lisbon!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Intendente area

Really look forward to hear from you after your trip.

It also may come in hand to know that the first stop of tram 28, the fabulous vintage tram that covers almost all old town: Martim Moniz is at the bottom at Almirante de Reis (relatively near your apartment) and it's normally more useful than the tube. Also tram 15 that will take you to Belém has a stop in Praça da Figueira (the square adjacent to Martim Moniz).

Cheers

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intendente area

hi!

Just like alface said just walk strait, d'ont care about the cover of the book and try to read it.

of course that if you could avoid it it woulb be better maybe but i already lived in this neighbourhood and after a whild if was ok for me...

I t is starting to be a way of tourism to go to those ad neighbourhoods. But the difference is that in some citys you need a guide, here in lisbon if you have the spirit, you just walk by your own.

let us know how it was cause the feedback is very important.

Patrick

Lisbon
Level Contributor
678 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Intendente area

Just avoid Intendente square and especially Rua do Benformoso and maybe the area in front of Anjos church at night. If you are close to the Former Colonies Neighborhood you'll be ok. If you're closer to Intendente square and in some of those narrow streets you might feel less confident walking around.

Pennington, New...
Level Contributor
196 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Intendente area

We leave in a week and a half. We'll keep your advice in mind, and thanks to everyone!

Let's hope for some sunshine. And even if there's no sunshine, I'm leaving about 18 inches of snow behind, so all is good!

Pennington, New...
Level Contributor
196 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Intendente area

We just returned from a week is Lisbon, in our apartment on Avenida Almirante, right by the Intendente metro, and had promised to share my thoughts on the area.

Honestly, not the greatest area but certainly not the worst. It was a very mixed neighborhood, being different during the day than at night. The first night, we walked back from the Baixa-Chiado metro area, and that was enough. Night time on the Almirante had too many hustlers/panhandlers/druggies,etc., to be comfortable. We decided that day time was fine for walking around, or hopping on Tram 28 (right across the street). And in the night time, we took the metro as the apartment was 3 doors away so no problems at all. Of course, we also witnessed someone being arrested in the metro, but heck, the cops were there too, so we weren't too concerned.

Also, our host (and our taxi driver from the airport) both pointed out a street to avoid, terming it "the impolite street" (perhaps the R. dos Anjos?)

So, would I want my mother to stay here? No. Would I stay there again? Probably, if it saved me a lot of money which it did. :-)

All in all, I loved Lisbon, Sintra, Cascais, Belem, everything! Thanks to everyone for their advice on my many questions.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Intendente area

Glad you had fun NJNancy1 and thanks for your feedback on Intendente area it seems you survived against all odds (;)) and really enjoyed your stay!

SE Portland
Level Contributor
158 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Intendente area

Hi Nancy, I have been watching your posting with INTEREST as I will be staying up just off the impolite street as it turns into Rue de Arroios. I won't be bringing my Mom. Is there anything in this neighborhood that you would recommend that I try not to miss?

I'm glad you had such a great time!

Judy

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Intendente area

The area can be a little "dodgy" not because it's insecure, but because in front of the church there is what we call "the poor's soup", meals for homeless and poor people. So they stay around because of that, and most of them just want a meal.

At night it can be a different story, but as referred just avoid the Largo Bem Formoso. My dentist was there, and it's true it's a bit uncomfortable but never had any problems.

Just be safe and look for your belongings in any place you go, here in portugal or other country.