We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Lisbon to Madrid

California
Level Contributor
102 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Lisbon to Madrid

I need to travel from Lisbon to Madrid and have found air to be quite expensive, over $300 USD. Is there train service available? If so, please tell me about it. The cost, travel time between the cities, is it safe, and the pro/cons to the trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Lisbon to Madrid

Yes, there is a train service daily.

It departures at 10.00PM and arrives around 8AM at Madrid.

The journey is done during the night, so you may consider a sleeping car.

Check out:

www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do…

And by the way, 300$ for the airplane ticket is cheap, I pay around 400€ (!) company rate!

The plane travel is about 50 minutes.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Lisbon to Madrid

A friend of ours took the Lisbon-Madrid train in October. This is what she wrote: "I promised to let you know how the overnight train trip to Madrid went. It was fun. We had sleepers and we all slept quite well. The sleepers are very clean and a beds not bad. Even Chris who as you know is very tall could mostly fit in the beds.The children really enjoyed it.Can certainly recommend it - with a sleeper - we had 2X 2birth sleepers( 4 people). Not so sure that a seat would be the same!. I cant remember how much it cost but I can remember thinking it wasnt much more than we would pay for a reasonable hotel room."

Hope that helps!

debk

deb@VisitingPortugal.com

California
Level Contributor
102 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Lisbon to Madrid

Thanks for the above comments. I just recently heard that Vueling Airlines has a flight between Lisbon & Madrid for 10 Euro.

Any comments (positive or negative) from those who may have used this airline would be appreciated.

east
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Lisbon to Madrid

There is also a bus connection and it takes ca 8 h by bus and the price is 40 EUR and busses run daily, alsoby night.

Otherwise Vueling rocks with 10 EUR!!!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,365 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Lisbon to Madrid

We flew BCN-Lisbon-BCN last month with vueling for 54€ each all in (10€each way plus taxes). However that was a special offer price: vueling's flights normally cost 30€ plus taxes and fares go up as planes fill. Still a good deal though.

Plane was on time; pretty cramped but it's a short flight so no big deal. Note that Portugal is one hour behind Spanish peninsular time when you are working out flight time!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,880 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Lisbon to Madrid

It's madness not to book with www.vueling.com for Lisbon - Madrid at those prices !