We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lisbon - any quirky, off the beaten track must-sees?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Lisbon - any quirky, off the beaten track must-sees?

Myself and my boyfriend will be in Lisbon from 30/09 to 03/10, before we head down to the coast, and we can't wait! We have already booked an apartment in Barrio Alto, so will be based there.

When we travel, we like to check out things that are perhaps slightly quirky and off the beaten track - ie not the usual tourist sites that the books tell you to visit - although we will of course check out some of those as well.

So, does anyone have any recommendations about such things that we could check out whilst in Lisbon?

As background, we are in our early thirties and enjoy music, art, architecture and food. We like to have fun in bars, etc although don't spend all night in clubs anymore.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Lisbon
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Lisbon Chill-Out Free Tour
City Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Inside Lisbon Tours
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , City Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Yellow Cab TT Tours
City Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
New Jersey
Level Contributor
178 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lisbon - any quirky, off the beaten track must-sees?

You are looking for an "off the beaten track must-sees." One could question that "must-see places" can hardly qualify as being off the beaten track.

Sorry if I'm sounding somewhat sarcastic.

Off the beaten path places are relative and subject to individual tastes. Places I personally enjoyed and found to be relatively free of the touristy crowd were the Oriental Museum, the parks/botanical gardens of the city and some of the local markets. You might also find some of the smaller Fado houses interesting for their intimate/down to earth atmoshphere,

Cheers

Lisboa
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lisbon - any quirky, off the beaten track must-sees?

Consider checking this post: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189158-i203-k3516… And don't miss Tease bakery (www.facebook.com/pages/TEASE/117663328272451), in Bairro Alto.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lisbon - any quirky, off the beaten track must-sees?

Also have a look at the "FAQ - What can I do in Lisbon? What is there for tourists/kids to do in Lisbon?" at the top right of the page.

I'm a tourist who likes to avoid the tourist traps (which frankly don't exist in Lisbon - it's just not that kind of town), so that list, which I wrote, has a good mix of the main tourist sights, some offbeat shops, good out of the way restaurants and some "must sees" which the cruise ship crowd would never get to...

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lisbon - any quirky, off the beaten track must-sees?

Thanks for the responses...

Gadfly - For me, sometimes, something off the beaten track is absolutely a must-see and something that everyone flocks to really isn't. I will definitely be checking out the markets though - I love to do that wherever I go.

Artefacto - That link is excellent and the bakery looks great!

Tattoosydney - List looks brilliant. Will pore over it when I have more time.

Thanks again guys!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
178 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lisbon - any quirky, off the beaten track must-sees?

LoidMorris,

I understand what you mean.

To me personally, and in accordance with Tattoosydney's point, the whole of Lisbon is so different from from other cities that everything seems exotic. It's hard to select one spot over the other as being special or out of the ordinary. Watching the sunset over the Tagus river might be as ethereal as catching a glimpse of the bougainvilleas dotting the city landscape or taking a walk along the winding lanes of Alfama.

I'm confident that given your range of interests, you would love Lisbon.

Regards

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lisbon - any quirky, off the beaten track must-sees?

Carris museum, if it's still in operation

7. Re: Lisbon - any quirky, off the beaten track must-sees?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2011, 05:16