We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help-Meeting in Lisbon, hotel in Cascais????

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boyce, Virginia
Level Contributor
191 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help-Meeting in Lisbon, hotel in Cascais????

I have a meeting in Lisbon Sept. 11-15. My company has booked me in the Vila Gale Village Cascais Hotel - about 30 km out of town. Is this even do-able????? Especially with having to be IN the conference center by 8 a.m.??

I really did want to stay in Lisbon-but this was the cheapest hotel the conference recommended. Of course the meeting doesn't provide transportation. And of course no one at work asks my opinion before booking

I usually enjoy staying in the older part of a town and taking the metro to the meeting center-but 32 km is a bit much. It seems like a lovely hotel but god I'm afraid I'm going to be hours commuting each day.

Any thouhts?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,555 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help-Meeting in Lisbon, hotel in Cascais????

Well other than driving (absolutely not recommended) the only way to get from Cascais to Lisbon is on the train.

These run every 15minutes in rush hour taking 32 minutes to reach Lisbon and at least by starting in Cascais (end of the line) will get a seat. An ordinary ticket is €3,60 return. A weekly pass might be cheaper but I think you would need a photocard etc.

The trains go to Cais do Sodre in station in Lisbon from where you can get metro or bus to any part of the city.

Agreed that the 0648 or 0703 out of Cascais wouldn't my ideal start to the day, but other moving hotel??

Whereabouts is the conference?

Edited: 18 February 2011, 19:31
Boyce, Virginia
Level Contributor
191 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help-Meeting in Lisbon, hotel in Cascais????

It's at the Feira Internacional de Lisboa

Would love to change to a small hotel in the older part of town that has a decent metro connection

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province
Level Contributor
5,187 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help-Meeting in Lisbon, hotel in Cascais????

I your work doesn't change your hotel you've no other way to start the day very early to get a taxi to Cascais train station, then the 06h48 train to Cais do Sodré station in Lisbon, and my advise is take another taxi to your final destination, because it's impossible for you to be at 8h00 at Feira Internacional Lisboa if you take another public transport (bus, because the metro doesn't go there...).

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,555 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help-Meeting in Lisbon, hotel in Cascais????

Agreed. Your company could not have booked you a worse hotel if they had tried! Did the people concerned not look at a map?

The Feira Internacional is among the shiny towers of the Parque das Naçoes. I walked past on a roam round Lisbon a few weeks ago and I reckon it is at least 500 yards from the nearest metro at Gare Oriente. That is as far as you can get across the city from Cais do Sodre without falling into the river and even by taxi would take maybe 15- 20 minutes in rush hour, by metro another 25 - 30 minutes plus walking time. You would be no fit state to do anything after that.

Any hotel in the city centre is going to be a far less frazzled journey. The nearer to Gare Oriente and the Parque the better. Much better a 20 minute metro ride and a ten minute walk than an hour plus battling across the city.

At last you have plenty of time to lean on your employers and get things changed!

Not sure I can recommend being a cheapskate when it comes to hotels, but there are probably dozens of 'business' hotels and all the major international chains are represented.

Assuming you are flying into Lisbon the airport is ten minutes from the Feira. Radisson Blu have recently opened up near the airport at Campo Grande, which is 20 minutes away from Oriente by bus, and I know there is a Holiday Inn Express not far away.

Any additional expense for the hotels is going to defray the additional transport costs especially if you are going to be spending 15 - 20 Euros on taxis everyday, not to mention the time saved was better for productivity. That's what I always said.

Edited: 19 February 2011, 00:01
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,645 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help-Meeting in Lisbon, hotel in Cascais????

I'm sorry but there are 2 places in Lisboa that are known as Feira Internacional de Lisboa (FIL), the new one at Parque das Nações and the old one at Alcantara. This one at Alcantara is normally used for medium size conferences and the one at Parque das Nações for large size conferences, which one is yours?

If it's at Alcantara then the train from Cascais is a very good option, there's a train station very close.

If it's at Parque das Nações then it's far from ideal but not that bad, thousands of portuguese do it on a daily bases. You have a metro station (green line) at your arrival train station (Cais do Sodré) that connects to Oriente/Parque das nações (red line) at Alameda.

Try hotel VIP Executive Saldanha, they are doing re-opening promotions.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,555 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help-Meeting in Lisbon, hotel in Cascais????

Ah, I didn't know about the old one at Alcantara. Confusion abounds!

Alcantara is indeed a station on the Cascais line.

Boyce, Virginia
Level Contributor
191 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help-Meeting in Lisbon, hotel in Cascais????

Hi Everyone

Here is the meeting locaiton

Feira Internacional de Lisboa

Rua do Bojador, Parque das Nações

So I pitched a fit yesterday and showed my boss all your messages and she agreed it was ridiculous. We go to more than 200 meetings a year, many of them in Europe and the person who does the booking I belive NEVER looks at a map, much less a metro map, for any city. I've been in great locations and horirble ones. But this is just too much.

Anyway-I have not yet looked at the Lisbon metro system, but it doesn't look terribly extensive. I would love to get some rooms at a place that has wifi in teh rooms (Were going to transmit video) and is within a REASONABLE commuting disance of the meeting-it doesn't have to be right next door. If the Oreinete is the closest line, what line is that on (blue, number etc)? Then maybe I can look for palces enar a linked stop

On the other hand perhaps an apartment (with 4 BR, since 4 are going) would be another option.

I will also look into the hotel that has the promotion going on

Thanks for bringing up the fact about the 2 centers. In fact, there are also 2 in Barcelona, both on Diagnonal Mar-but one at the sea and one WAAAAY at the other end miles away. The last meeting I had there the address was Diagonal Mar and I assumed it was for the seaside one, where I had been before. I flagged down a tax (since I was running late the first morning) adn told him where to go and was like "Which one" and I almost fell out of teh cab!!! I had to pull out my papers and show him the address-and he laughed. We both thought it was very funny. And I ended my very limited Spanglish conversation by squeezing him on the shoulder and calling him "muy sympatico" which he also thought was very funny. So I hope I didn't call him "really sexy" or something! :-)

Normally at these meetings I get an apartment but I ahve never been to Lisbon so I'm not sure about how to navigate the city and hadn't thought that far ahead anyway. I'm planning a back to back meeting trip to Barcelona and Madrid right now with lovely apartments recommended to me by fellw TAs- so you all are a treasure! I have TOLD the hotel-picker at work to get on this board but she never does. I think she could save alot of time!

Boyce, Virginia
Level Contributor
191 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help-Meeting in Lisbon, hotel in Cascais????

sorry about all the typos-I'm a writer but I never said I was a typer - cute boy in 10th grade typing class, what can I say? He was from Lebanon (sigh)

Lisbon
Level Contributor
678 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help-Meeting in Lisbon, hotel in Cascais????

Hello,

Cascais is a lovely town by the sea but to commute to Parque das Nações would take you a significant amount of time.

For your place of event you should exit in the red line of the subway, last station, Oriente. Even if you stay in the city centre you will not take all that long to the place of the meeting (from Rossio it should be around 35 minutes). Just don't stay that far away from a subway station.

For hotels I normally check www.booking.com that has good prices and a lot of offers and in your search you can choose just hotels with wifi, then it is a question of price. Probably now for September not a lot of the offer will be already available.

Have a nice trip!

Boyce, Virginia
Level Contributor
191 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help-Meeting in Lisbon, hotel in Cascais????

So... after simply pointing out the problem, they agreed to put us somewhere nearer the conference center. It turns out that 4 of us are going, which I didn't realize. It's a big diabetes meeting and apparently just about every room in town is taken. one colleague booked herself into the Holiday Inn on Saturday-but now there are no rooms left. So the rest of us are staying at the Lisboa Plaza, which looks just lovely. I hope it is!!!

Thanks again for all your help. Without you wall this meeting would have been a lot more difficult!