We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elevator - department store?

Florida
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Topic
Elevator - department store?

Good morning!

I've read in some posts about "taking the escalator in the big shopping complex just below Cafe Brasileira" and "going through the department store to get down to Baixia".

Can anyone tell me if these are the same things? Is the department store the Cortes Ingles? I am trying to save steps and would love to know all the "secret" ways of getting around.

Thanks again for your help.

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elevator - department store?

Sunny1954Florida welcome to the Lisbon forum!

No, the department store is not "Corte ingles" but is "Armazens do Chiado", but the name is not relevant. If you're near Cafe Brasileira just go down Rua Garrett and you'll be just in front of the store.Enter it and take the escalator down.When you exit the store you'll be at Baixa.Easy.

Florida
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Elevator - department store?

Thank you so much for your quick response. Do you happen to know if this is anywhere close to a Hop on/Hop off bus stop?

Have a great day!

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elevator - department store?

From Baixa you can go to any part of town you want. It's DownTown and is full of bus stops. You'll have also the subway there.

Glad i could help us.

Florida
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Elevator - department store?

Once again, thank you so much. If you think of any other littel "secrets" I should know, I'd be happy to hear all about it!

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elevator - department store?

No need to thanks, if someday i travel to Florida to see the Buccaneers (my favorite NFL team!!!) i'll ask you for advise also.

Florida
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Elevator - department store?

It's a deal!

worcester, uk
Level Contributor
444 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elevator - department store?

Whilst in the "Armazens do Chiado", go up to the 6th floor where there is the food court. We had lunch there and the views are stunning. not to be missed.

Florida
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Elevator - department store?

Good morning, thank you for the information. It's great knowing these little things....it has been put on my list! Any other inside information is also appreciated!

SE Portland
Level Contributor
158 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elevator - department store?

In the Armazens I love to go to the FNAC store a big book, electronics, and music store and listen to aportugues music cds at the headphone stations and then buy my favorites for souvenirs. The kids who work there are really sweet and helpful.

I like Palmeira Restaurante at the bottom of the Armazens on Rua do Cruxifixo across from the Art Supply store.

Have fun!

USA
Level Contributor
388 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Elevator - department store?

Maybe more information than you need, but here is a download floor plans of Amazens do Chiado. You can map out your toilet breaks and exit strategies.

armazensdochiado.com/informacoes/Plantas%20A…

It's a smallish mall and the FNAC is probably most interesting for me (looking at Portuguese music selections), otherwise the more unique stores can be found in smaller streets around this area. For example The Wrong Shop, Calcada do Sacramento 25, or A Vida Portuguesa on Rua Anchieta 11. They are fairly close to each other actually.

Other malls in Lisbon:

golisbon.com/shopping/shopping-centres.html

If you are near Aquarium area there is Vasco da Gama Mall (large, American like). If you are near Gubenkian Museum you will be close to El Corte Ingles (Nordstrom or Macy's like).

I have to chuckle at the first post from PMAL. He/she said it's "easy". For a first time visitor it's anything but that :))). I don't think you can find a single square grid in this city; cobblestone streets intersect either acutely or obtusely, and the blocks make a rather interesting geometry quiz for a fifth grader (remember the isosceles and trapezoid) Plus you have to content with the different elevations of the streets because of the hills. I said it before I think, that walking in Lisbon is like walking within an Escher painting. You feel like you are going DOWN to get UP to somewhere else. Best bring your sturdy comfortable shoes. Also remember that taxis are cheap.

Just a tiny little price to pay to visit this charming and friendly city.