We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An advice please. Which hostel to choose?

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
An advice please. Which hostel to choose?

Hello,

I will be traveling to Lisbon for 7 nights at the end of June with 2 friends and we've been trying to decide on a cheap,decent place to stay. Finally we've been able to narrow it down between Yes!Lisbon Hostel (Rua de Sao Juliao 148) and Poets Hostel (Rua Nova da Trindade, nr. 2).

They both offer the same type of accommodations, the price is virtually the same and they both have stellar reviews on hostelworld and hostelbookers. So my question is which one should we choose? We would like to be able to get some rest at night but we also want to be able to meet people and party a little. If anyone stayed at one of the 2, or maybe someone from Lisbon could give is a little push in the right direction, we would greatly appreciate it.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An advice please. Which hostel to choose?

Lisbon Poets Hostel is almost in Bairro Alto, Lisbon main party hub, so more convenient to night life and noisier than Yes! Hostel. A bit more central also.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
678 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An advice please. Which hostel to choose?

Hello,

Both hostels are quite good you will be well served whatever you choose. I think the Yes Hostel is a bit better then the Poets Hostel and from what I am aware of they organize more events and have cheap 8€ dinners for their guests to meet each other. For these reasons I would choose the Yes hostel but you will be well served with any of these hostels and yes the Poets is a bit closer to the nightlife.

All the best

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An advice please. Which hostel to choose?

Thanks so much for your answers, is seems that Poets is better situated while Yes! might be a bit better for meeting people.

Just one other question, as one of my friends sees more inclined toward Yes! if we do choose it, would it be possible to go back to the hostel at night, from Bairro Alto on foot? Is it safe enough for 3 girls to walk the route at let's say 1 or 2am ?

I've read that the Bairro itself it's ok if you mind your own business, especially since it's quite packed with people but I don't really have a very clear picture of how far the hostel is from the area and how safe the route is.

We're not the overly panicking type, for example I've stayed in Valencia with one of these girls and walked around the center at all hours of the night and felt extremely comfortable but the advice of locals is always greatly appreciated.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An advice please. Which hostel to choose?

Perfectly possible and safe to walk back on foot (5 minutes).

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An advice please. Which hostel to choose?

Thanks Alface for your prompt answer, it's great to have someone to give those little details that make all the difference.

6. Re: An advice please. Which hostel to choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 22:17