We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bull Fighting April

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bull Fighting April

Does anyone know if there is a bull fight on the weekend of the 15th April, either, the Fri 15th, Sat, Sun or Monday? If so, how do I go about getting tickets?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bull Fighting April

On April 14 you'll have one at Campo Pequeno bullfight ring.

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
6,304 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bull Fighting April

Bull Fighting in Campo Pequeno are in this dates:

April - 14th

May - 5th and 19th

June - 2nd and 16th

July - 7th, 14th, 21th and 28th

August - 4th, 11th, 18th and 25th

Sept. - 1st and 29th

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bull Fighting April

Thank you for info. Typically we don't arrive until the morning of the 15th so looks like we'll miss it! Do you know of any other bull fighting rings in Lisbon??

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,753 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bull Fighting April

From what I've read on the Barcelona forum Bullfights are a rather controversial subject - and they are going to be banned.

Is this also the case in Portugal? I am aware of the differences between Spanish and Portuguese Bullfighting - so is there less of an issue in Portugal becaue of this?

I will be in Lisbon on June 2nd and if there are no "issues" I'd to add a Bullfight to my itinerary.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
6,304 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bull Fighting April

cpotter_sol - In Lisbon, Campo Pequeno is the only bull fighting rings... i'm sorry you'll miss the great show...

F1racegirl - there're a lot of differences between the bull fighting of Portugal and Spain and there is NO issue at all about this kind of show here, so my advise is for you to add this to your itinerary.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,753 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bull Fighting April

That's fantastic! Thanks PMAL!

Do I need to purchase tickets in advance?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bull Fighting April

Normally you don't need to purchase several days before, and bellow the ring there's a shopping mall whit an extended schedule where you can buy the tickets or downtown in Restauradores square at a kiosk "agência ABEP".

cpotter_sol, you have a chance to see a bullfight on April 17 at Alcochete, it's a small village on the other end of Vasco da Gama bridge with a long tradition around bullfights, bullfighters and "forcados".

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,753 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bull Fighting April

Thanks again - I really appreciate it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bull Fighting April

"there is NO issue at all about this kind of show here"

Really? A quick google search on "bullfight protest Portugal" will bring up a lot of different protests against it across Portugal including some in Lisbon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-mVSJwrRQw

I have wanted to go and see a bullfight in Lisbon for five years but have never had the chance, and would strongly oppose any attempt to ban it.

At the same time, I don't really think the fact the bulls are butchered out the back after they have been tormented by sticking spears in them, rather than being killed in the ring after they have been tormented by sticking spears in them, makes Portuguese bullfighting any less cruel in its actual effect.

Some would suggest it's just an exercise in stage dressing and semantics.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,666 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bull Fighting April

In Portugal there are groups against bullfights and, of course, those groups post their videos on Youtube. But there's no national or regional debate about it like the ones mentioned for Catalunia (Barcelona).