We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guerin CAr Rental Airport Faro

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Middelharnis, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Topic
Guerin CAr Rental Airport Faro

We rented a car by Guerin, Great service, great car. We arranged the car from Holland and ask for a Peugeot 207 diesel but we got a Renault Megane Station Diesel and just one year old! The service was good and we could check out at 9 o clock in the night. We didn't see cars older than 2-3 years old ans they look all fine!! The next time we shall hire a car by Guerin again!!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guerin CAr Rental Airport Faro

This company is renowned to be good. I have used them before.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Guerin CAr Rental Airport Faro

We rented a car from Guerin this spring and had a terrible experience. After we returned home we had a large charge on our credit card, that after several days of getting the run around from Guerin, we learned it was for damages. Fortunately, I kept the form that clearly shows this damage as existing (the car was very beat up).

Geurin said they would investigate and get back to me in a couple of days. That was a month ago.

I do not trust this company, and I strongly recommend that others read the reviews on them before booking. This is not an isolated incident.

Lisbon,Portugal
Level Contributor
4,980 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guerin CAr Rental Airport Faro

rogy111 - Welcome to TA and to Lisbon Forum!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Yes, i agree that Guerin had in the past incidents like this, so i also advise people to read all they can about this company and also ask any questions here.

I really hope you can work out this situation.

Edited: 18 August 2011, 17:35
Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guerin CAr Rental Airport Faro

We have rented from Guerin this June. Perfect service, brandnew car (230 km only!). We will rent from them again next year.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Guerin CAr Rental Airport Faro

It's great to here someone has had a good experience with this company, and that they have purchased a new car.

Unfortunately the vast majority of reviews on the Internet complain of having to deal a battered fleat and have been held responsible not only for existing body damages, but for such things burnt out clutches, and key remotes. One client even complained they returned a vehicle because the air conditioner didn't work and they were charged for the air conditioner.

And thank you, PMAL I will update my progress and hope the many others who have not been as lucky asboseli, will compensated as well.

Lisbon,Portugal
Level Contributor
4,980 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guerin CAr Rental Airport Faro

rogy111 - If you need any help from this side of the pond, feel free to send a PM, ok? Take care.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Guerin CAr Rental Airport Faro

Thanks PMAL

I'll be visiting the travel agent we booked with for their assistance.

I'd like to add that we spent more than two months in Portugal this spring/ summer, and fell in love with it. The beauty of the country, the culture and history, and especially the lovely, friendly and trustworthy people, made us feel remarkably safe and welcome.

This experience with Guerin was completely out of character with opinion of portugal and the people of Portugal.

Lisbon,Portugal
Level Contributor
4,980 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guerin CAr Rental Airport Faro

rogy111 - Thank You for your kind words regarding Portugal and the Portuguese.

I'm really glad that your problem with Guerin didn't affect the way you think about us.

Also, i'm very happy that you have enjoy the time you've been here.

If you need anything feel free to contact me.

Oostduinkerke
Level Contributor
11 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guerin CAr Rental Airport Faro

Hi,

We have rented cars from Guerin (through an internet agency) once in Faro and twice in Lisbon and have been very happy with their service every time; never had to wait more than 15 min. Once we had a window smashed by vandals and even that presented no problem, we were only asked where this had happened, and were told that we were insured for that (I spent more than 2 hours in a police station to get some paperwork about this, but didn't even need it in the end).

You can't please everyone, but Guerin will certainly see us again.

uk
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guerin CAr Rental Airport Faro

I urge anyone thinking of renting a car from Guerin through Drive4Less (formerly CarHire3000 or carrentals.com - different names for the same company!) to be very careful and, actually, to avoid them like the plague.

I returned yesterday from the Algave and would NOT recommend this company! The comments about unexpected charges are spot on. My own experience is that I was deliberately misled when I made the booking. Because of the minefield of charges relating to car hire, I called and specifically asked if I would have to pay any charges when I picked the car up and was unequivcally told "no". You can imagine how furious I was to be charged 124euros - 40euros for late pick up (after midnight - our plane was delayed) and 80euros for a full tank of petrol (we were only there for 5 days and returned the car with more than half a tank left). The fuel policy WAS on the voucher but my grievance is that a) I should have been told about both charges when I asked and b) because it was a last minute booking, I couldn't cancel the policy anyway, even if I had noticed the fuel policy. Had I been given the info I asked for, I would never have booked, specially since I'd phoned round a few other rental companies to check.

By the way, Guerin (the car rental company) said that this fuel policy is specific to Drive4Less and doesn't apply when cars are rented from them through other agents. Having seen the other comments, this was clearly a lie too.

Incidentally, the car we had was dented in several places and had a large stain on the front passenger seat.

Take my advice, take your business elswhere. The service is poor and with all the extra charges, they are considerably more expensive than their competitors. Incidentally, they have a Price Match promise - I'm going to find out what Trading Standards think of that!!