We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport card/pass in Lisbon

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Transport card/pass in Lisbon

Hi all. Trying to find this info without posting a new message but a lot of what I found is old. Need up to date info so here I am. Leaving for Lisbon on Thursday, for 5 days, and though I will walk a lot I am tipping I will need some sort of transport pass as there might be a few too many hills for me! I don't think I will need the Lisboa card as I won't go to many (if any) museums so do I just get a normal tram/bus/train pass and if so, which one? I was told about one called Carris, or from a Carris shop (?), are they easy to find?

Thanks!

Pam

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

Pam - At the airport you will not have a Carris shop to buy the "Lisboa Viva" card. You need to buy the AeroBus / AeroShuttle ticket that coasts €3.50 to get to your hotel. Also, this special ticket is valid for 24h. Near your hotel, if you have a underground / subway / metro (in Portuguese) station, you can buy the "Lisboa Viva" card in one of the automatic machines and charge the card with the money you want. If you're not near a station you'll have to ask at the hotel front desk where is the near Carris selling point to buy the card.

Edited: 03 May 2011, 16:07
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,525 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

Yes you can buy a one day Metro/bus/tram pass at any metro station ticket machine (make sure you press the right buttons) or at a Carris kiosk.

The ticket costs €4.45 including 50 cents for the card which you can then recharge the next day.

The 24 hour pass will appear and can be loaded onto any one of these cards

7 Colinas, Viva Viagem ou Lisboa Viva. it doesn't matter, they are all the same really.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

"7 Colinas, Viva Viagem ou Lisboa Viva. it doesn't matter, they are all the same really."

Actually, no. The "Lisboa Viva" card is a plastic card with a photo, which only residents use...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

Thanks everyone. I'm here now! Got a taxi to my B&B so that was OK, Departures as advised, so wasn't ripped off.

Today I bought a 2 day Metro card and will top up as needed. With lots of walking today (I am now exhausted!) the card worked out well. Have got the feeling of the Metro already so will surely enjoy a few more rides over the next 4 days.

Thanks for organising perfect weather too!

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,292 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

Can I please just check - is the AeroShuttle ticket valid for one day or for a 24 hour period? Our flight arrives in the evening so was thinking about getting a taxi but if we can use this ticket until the next evening, then that would be better.

Also, can you use the AeroShuttle ticket on the trams, metros etc or just on the buses?

Thank you

Maputo, Mozambique
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

I am travelling to Lisbon , arriving on 10/August & departing on 15/August . Is there a pass allowing me acess to all transport ( metro , buses , etc ) in Lisbon ( Something like Paris Pass ) ?

Please advise the best & more affordable way to get around in Lisbon & nearby suburbs ( Sintra , Cascais, etc )

Thanks & regards

DASC2210

Lisbon
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

"Can I please just check - is the AeroShuttle ticket valid for one day or for a 24 hour period?" It's valid for 24h, but pay attention, because the last aeroshuttle from the airport it's at 10hP.M. The ticket it's only valid for bus, trams and funicullars, its NOT valid on the metro!!!

Lisbon
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

DASC2210: You have the 7 hills/ Viva Viagem card that it's valid for all the transports in Lisbon (trams, buses, metro and funicullars). The card cost 5€ for 24h, including already the 0.50€ for the card. To go to Sintra and Cascais you have trains from Lisbon every 15/20 min. You can recharge that card for the train. You have other option: The Lisboa Card, valid for transports in Lisbon, including the trains to Sintra, Estoril and Cascais and includes also monuments and museums. Hope this help!!

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

Buy the Lisboa card for 24, 48 or 72 hours.

www.askmelisboa.com/en/catalog/lisboa-card-0

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
19 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport card/pass in Lisbon

Just wanted to ask: is Lisboa card worth it?

We will be staying in Lisbon for 9 days at the beginning of June. We are planning to visit the most important castles, museums, monasteries, elevators, go by funiculars. But we are not interested in many of the places the card includes discounts for. And are also going to Sintra and Cascais.

We put sums together and we calculated about 240 euros for me and my husband for our staying in Portugal. Should we pay that much for the card or should we think of something else like Viva Viagem for example?

Thank-you so much for your time!