We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from airport to hotel in Parque da Nacoes

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi from airport to hotel in Parque da Nacoes

I have read the taxi thread to the right on this page...it's mostly from '08 and I would like current info.

Should I still go to departures to catch a taxi to avoid que and crooks? Arrive Sunday (19th) in the morning. We have two checked bags, two carry-on's and two backpacks.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,493 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from airport to hotel in Parque da Nacoes

Yes to all. The taxi ride will take about 5 minutes. You will get charged for the amount of luggage, but other than that it shouldn't be much more than minimum fare.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from airport to hotel in Parque da Nacoes

You if go to departures yes, you will save time avoiding que. About crooks, they don´t have a label on theire forehead, so the only way to not being overcharged if you came across with one, is asking how much in total before enter the taxi, (the same as you do when you go to a restaurant, asking the menu with prices). Total should be around 7-8€, including luggage (1.60€ for all luggage that can fit on the trunk, NOT per piece of luggage).

Following this procedure, I would find interesting if you tell us, after you return home, how many taxi "crooks" have you found in Lisbon.

Enjoy your stay.

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from airport to hotel in Parque da Nacoes

Obrigada...exactly what I needed to know.

lisbontaxi - "crooks" was a little tongue in cheek. Travel would just be so much easier if everyone wore appropriate labels on their forehead :)

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from airport to hotel in Parque da Nacoes

lisbontaxi-well, I'm back home now and let me just tell you about our first experience with taxi service upon arrival, below is an excerpt from my trip report-Day One, which is pretty much a full day since we arrived at 8:40am.

June 19th

I’m up, still on the plane. I’m assuming it’s now June 19th, it’s light out again though I have no real idea what time it is. My watch says 3:20, which would be AM, in Philadelphia, so 2:20am at home…so it must be 8:20am here. Bom dia! We are descending, a small pastry and coffee is served. I found out from the gal next to me that British Airways is WAY better on transatlantic flights, much bigger plane, a lot more food, So, if I ever do this again, I better check with them on flights. More later.

Great landing and sunny skies, temps in the mid-high 60’s. Walk, walk, walk, thru hallway after hallway, finally to baggage claim, and oops, stopped at the wrong one, didn’t recognize one face from our plane. Found the right one quickly and our bags were out in a jiffy. Spotted an ATM across the room and bee-lined it to get euros. Out the door and in line for a taxi. Ok, I was told to ASK the taxi driver how much to go to our hotel. Being a savvy traveler, I’ve consulted Trip Advisor and was actually told to go upstairs to departures to get our taxi but the que wasn’t that long so we opted to stay at arrivals. Our turn came up and we schlepped our bags out to the driver that waved us his way and I first asked if he spoke English. He said “there’s a meter”. Great, language barrier begins. I told him where we needed to go, pointed to the luggage tag with the address and name of hotel and asked him how much. He said “meter”. Alright buddy, I know taxi’s have meters, I get it, but you could flippin’ drive around Lisbon three times and drop us off for 25euros and I KNOW it is 5 minutes from here.

He was totally annoyed with me and asked for the police to help, standing on a curb nearby. Fabulous, just what I need, the police, when I’d just witnessed them removing passengers from my plane. At least he spoke English but gol-dangit if he didn’t tell me again that it is metered. Well, no S___ Sherlock. He finally said that with luggage it should be around 10 euros. FINE, why was this so hard?

Got in and the driver sat and shook his head at us, and then he took off like a bat out of , well you know. I am not kidding. Angie held onto the door to avoid being hurled onto my lap. Every corner was taken at 120...is that KM/mile? We have no clue but saw our lives flash before our eyes. I tried to ask him how to pronounce Parque das Nascoes and he responded by raising his hands in the air, shaking his head…driving the taxi with his knees, with the speed increasing. Then he changed the radio station to some American song, a bad American song, one that you know all the words to and you wish you didn’t. So we sang, loudly, with him as he snapped his fingers and strummed his air guitar, periodically, swerving to the beat of the music. Angie and I continued to sing, smiling as though we were thoroughly enjoying the ride. Que…squeal of tires coming to abrupt stop at VIP Executive ARTS hotel. Thank the Lord, we are alive. I gladly paid him 10 euros bid him adieu.

Inside the hotel, we were greeted by someone who wasn’t too happy to be working on Sunday. I’m just going with that. Or maybe, she didn’t like Americans, or was it American women. I don’t know. She stuck to business offering nothing close to a grin, smirk and good lord, certainly not a smile, informing us our room wouldn’t be ready until 2. TWO, it was 10am. Dang. So she kept our 4 bags and we hiked with our backpacks to find beverages and later some food. She offered little assistance as to where to go and how to get there. What is this I’ve heard of Portuguese people being friendly and helpful? So far, two strikes.

We found the shopping center, the MALL if you will. Vasca de Gama - it’s very nice, very modern in design and plenty of shopping and food options. No air conditioning inside, weird. There was some “fun run” going on outside of the shopping center on the waterfront. The area along the waterfront was absolutely divine! Clear blue skies, hot sun, gentle river breeze…glorious. It is a beautiful area. We found a place to grab some lunch - shared a Tuna, Black Eyed Pea Salad and I bought us a pitcher of the best Sangria I’ve ever had. Here again, we ordered from a young gal who didn’t even crack a smile and offered no assistance to two obviously clueless American women. It was only after we had a sip of the Sangria and I came back in to tell her how good it was that she finally gave me a smile. Jeesh.

So back to the shopping center to get water and wine. Our essentials. Found the water and in the wine section every stinkin’ bottle says Vinho Tinto. Yeh, ok, RED WINE, great, is it dry or sweet? After asking one guy who didn’t speak English, but tried to help by directing us to the whiskey and liqueur aisle, we just randomly picked one from the Douro region…cheap roughly, 5 US. Fingers crossed, back to the hotel.

Finally able to check in. Nice room with a killer view of the river. 13th floor, just the right size. Discovered we didn’t have wi-fi for free anywhere in the hotel. That kinda stinks for a hotel of this type. There is computer, just one, downstairs we can use but good lord, trying to get on it is nearly impossible. It’s busy all the time.

After we both took a much needed, well deserved shower, we napped for an hour or so before going for dinner. We walked out of the hotel to the waterfront and found a number of restaurants setting up for dinner. Some had some live music and we sat a listened for a bit. Finally picked one to eat at. We are finding that many places here do not offer table service, you go and order and then if it takes more time than your average fast food place, they will bring it to the table. So, Angie orders a shrimp salad, he brings it to the table. Just IT, nothing to eat IT with, so she goes up to the counter to ask him for utensils and stands there a bit waiting for him to get them for her…then he says, “you go sit down”. Ummm, ok…then, later, he brings out the utensils. Just odd.

Tired, so an early night, back to the hotel and to bed.

The only other taxi we had was from our hotel back to the airport in Lisbon and he was very nice, good broken English which is fabulous and he had a personality and a sense a humor. I was easily able to ask him roughly how much it would be...he estimated 10euros and with our bags, that is exactly how much it was. Perfect. I happily tip for simple service.

5. Re: Taxi from airport to hotel in Parque da Nacoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 October 2011, 02:50
MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from airport to hotel in Parque da Nacoes

USSmino, ok, I'll post it - it's long so read at your own risk!

Toronto, ONT
Level Contributor
770 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from airport to hotel in Parque da Nacoes

We took a taxi from Lisbon airport to Oriente & back (we were catching Renex bus to Praia Rocha). In the airport got the cab from departures level. No line there. Asked the driver how much & was told that it was metered. Both times the fare was under 7 euros (with luggage fee). Paid 8 with tip.

8. Re: Taxi from airport to hotel in Parque da Nacoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 08:19