We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Topic
Safety

I had assumed that Lisbon would be quite safe. I'm not sure why, but I just assumed that it would be. Maybe it's partly that being a native Londoner I am used to having a knife held to my wrist at 4 o'clock in the afternoon on the train home, or coming home to hear that somebody has been stabbed to death in the local fried chicken shop. I know that Lisbon is plagued by graffiti, but it never occurred to me that it wasn't safe. However, I just read a review on this site which says, "IN FACT I WOULD STATE THAT IN MY OPINION IT IS A DANGEROUS AND VIOLENT CITY AND WE TRAVEL A GOOD DEAL, you have been warned" (capitals in original). How dangerous and violent is it? I am travelling with my partner. Normally we would stick together on holiday, but occasionally we might go our separate ways. Is it safe for a 20-something-year-old woman with typical Slavic blonde hair and good looks to wander around this "dangerous and violent city" alone? Is it safe for me to wander around alone? As I say, here in London I am used to having a knife drawn on me or being beaten around the head with a length of metal tubing, so my threshold for danger and violence is fairly high.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Safety

hi,you will find rua augusta a safe enough place to stay,as for restaurants there are plenty of them in that particular area and most of them will be open in the evenings,have a great time.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Safety

I just got back from a trip to London and then on to Lisbon. Since my husband was teaching during the day, I went out shopping and sightseeing alone in both cities during the day. I was careful in both cities as I would be in ANY big city. I did feel that Lisbon was easier to deal with and I felt more comfortable. We stayed in the Chiado area. In the evening, I went out with my husband and we are not late night party people. IF you can survive London, I think Lisbon is a piece of cake.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,776 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Safety

We never felt unsafe in Lisbon. On our way back to Rossio station we were offered drugs by some weird guys. We said 'thank you' and walked on. That was it.

14. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 23:15