We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fado without dinner...please help!

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Fado without dinner...please help!

Hello TA!!

I know that fado has been discussed lots of times, but can't find much Re: Fano without Dinner.

**I'm a foodie, and really don't want to waste a meal with mediocre food! I much rather go to a nice restaurant, then go to see Fado and maybe get a drink (I know they may curve a cover) and that's ok with me.

Any places that I could make reservations for, that I don't have to have dinner??

*I don't mind amature or professional, but somesing nice and fun.

I'll be traveling alone, if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for any suggestions

4 1/2 wks until my trip!! Yey! :)

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fado without dinner...please help!

Anyone?

SE Portland
Level Contributor
158 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fado without dinner...please help!

Jessy,

Try "Tasca do Chico" in the search above and see what you think!

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fado without dinner...please help!

Hi Billymoon!!!

Thanks for the recommendation!

I haven't found much about it, but I'm still searching!

Haven't had much time this weekend but I'm finally done with my things, I'm dedicating my evening to researching this place!

Thanks a million!

Lisbon, Portugal
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fado without dinner...please help!

Jessy,

for me the best plan should be:

- dinner at Santo António de Alfama (around 9pm)

www.siteantonio.com

- go to hear some excellent, not touristic, fado at Mesa de Frades (from 22/23pm)

lifecooler.com/Portugal/restaurantes/Restaur…

you will love it for sure!

Rui

holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/lisbon/176332

Edited: 03 August 2011, 17:18
california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fado without dinner...please help!

Thanks casado,

I checked some websites and they say that you have to have dinner there. But I want to go somewhere else for dinner and go have a drink with fado later.

Will there be a large amount of minimum consumption?

I don't mind paying a cover charge, but it seems that most places just want you to have dinner there...

I'm also worried that if I don't have reservations I won't get in to see fado,

But I don't want to make reservations because they are going to think I'm having dinner there...

What to do??

Thanks again for all your help to all!

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
120 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fado without dinner...please help!

Hi,

i'm not much into fado houses business. but as far is i know, you have a minimum consummation that is about 7,5 euro’s with 1 or 2 drinks, and you have to stay at the bar, with is a little far from the stage, don’t forget that when fado is being sing, there is no noise in the house. The best fado singer's always play at end of the night.

Alfaia, Cafe Luso are sugestions

Tasca do Chico, has fado vadio - not pro. singers, common people, and it's not every night.

Have a nice trip

LisbonRudi

Lisbon, Portugal
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fado without dinner...please help!

Jessy,

you don't have to dinner at Mesa de Frades, you just have to wait outside for a break and then go inside and have a drink at the bar...the only thing is that you don't have a seat.

It's a very informal place to hear fado...

But you're totally right, the vast majority of places with fado comes with a dinner...another option I can recommend you is Senhor Vinho (http://www.srvinho.com/). Here you have to dinner but the food although is not excellent is also not "for turists".

Rui

holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/lisbon/176332

Oslo
Level Contributor
449 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fado without dinner...please help!

Hi yesiloves2travel,

I've just found this thread and wonder if you managed to find such a place in Lisbon?

9. Re: Fado without dinner...please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:16