We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tip for Driver

Virginia
Level Contributor
73 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Tip for Driver

We have booked a private four hour tour of Lisbon with a taxi service. What should we give the driver for a tip?

USA
Level Contributor
388 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tip for Driver

Well, it depends on how nice he looks, if he opens the door for me and carries my shopping bags! :-)))

More seriously, tipping is a personal thing and it will depend on your satisfaction with service given. I would consider 15-20% of total bill for adequate/good service.

But as you wish...some folks are struggling more than others.

Virginia
Level Contributor
73 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tip for Driver

Tipping practices in Europe are different from those in the USA. Here's a link for you to read:

www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/eurotips.htm

USA
Level Contributor
388 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tip for Driver

Thanks for the link, I don't usually subscribe to Rick Steves.

This kind of question usually get many different answers, and I admit I err on my gut feeling at the moment and being more generous than not. Well, looks like you got one answer at least.

Here is from portugalvisitor.com

Overall, except in heavy traffic, taxis are an economical way of getting around in the cities and prices compare well with the rest of western Europe. Tipping is voluntary, and if you do, around 10% is standard. Many taxi drivers in Lisbon, Porto and the Algarve may well speak some English, but often they don't.

And from …marksandspencer.com/travel/tipping-guide/

A service charge (servicio) is not usually added to the bill in restaurants so if the service warrants it, it is customary to leave an additional tip of about 5-10%.

Hotel bellhops will welcome the occasional €1-2, whilst housekeeping normally look for €1 per day – but this is not compulsory. Rounding taxi costs up to the nearest Euro is also common practice – particularly in Lisbon, the capital city.

And from dirtcheaplisbon.com

In Lisbon, tipping is not obligatory but the amount is usually 5% to 10%. You don’t need to tip at bars, just restaurants or where you get a table service. Your generosity will be much-appreciated by those who serve you since the Portuguese themselves can be tight-fisted when it comes to tipping. Catering staff complain that locals sometimes leave only a few cents on the table. Therefore, waiters rely on foreigners for money so do live up to their expectations – they’ll love you for that. You can also tip cab drivers by rounding up the fare.

From taxiprices.com

General taxi fares in Lisbon

The taximeter starts at €2.50, and then adds €0.10 for each 162 meter. At night, the taxis add 20% to the fare. Tipping is volontary, at about 10%.

---------------------------------

So would you consider how many stops (separate taxi trips) the driver makes and tip him accordingly ? Would you give a little extra for the tour spiel? For the waiting time perhaps? I don't know. I don't know how much the taxi cost is but say 75-100 E would mean anywhere like 8 to 10 E for tip if using 10%. Not sure if I can physically give less.

Well, just IMO. It's voluntary, discretionary.

Have a good time

Lisbon,Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tip for Driver

carver7 - Here in this side of the pond, and in Lisbon tipping it's personal. We don't have a tipping culture like in the US. If you feel that you should tip, go for it, if you don't, don't do it. There's no bad option, just follow your heart on this one.

Forget the "Ugly American" complex that some other US people said in other posts and enjoy Lisbon!

Virginia
Level Contributor
73 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tip for Driver

PMAL - Thank you! We will enjoy Lisbon.

6. Re: Tip for Driver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 18:24
Get answers to your questions about Lisbon