We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you wish someone had told you?

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal,Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What do you wish someone had told you?

My husband and I are about to take our first trip to Lisbon in a few weeks. I've been doing all my "homework" by researching and reading various posts here and in on other forums, but there are some things that can fall through the cracks or the info could be a bit out of date. Plus I'm just plain curious

My question is this: for those of you who have already experienced Lisbon, what did you discover you wished someone had told you before your first trip? Did someone give you advice that you found particularly helpful or useful that you'd be willing to pass on? Anything from communicating, how to deal with scammers, public transport, finding and using public toilets, supermarket/street market/general etiquette, restaurant behaviour, cultural "quirks" particular to the city/area, favorite moments/places or things to see, how to generally not annoy the locals and be a good visitor etc. etc. etc.

My sincere thanks to anyone who shares their thoughts on any of the above.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

If you have not bought a ticket for the bus beforehand, make sure that you have coinage with you. We had plenty of euros just not coins. It was embarrassing that we couldn't purchase a ticket and we got off the bus at the next stop.

Edited: 12 September 2011, 22:34
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
100 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

@dmk1

The castle and alfama are very popular and tradicional areas.

Plenty of small restaurants and good food. Great views.

Downtown (Baixa) and Chiado are the "heart" of Lisbon.

Night out? Bairro Alto that's for sure..

Belém for the monuments and gardens. Walk by the river or take a boat.

Take a train to Sintra. All day visit.

Portuguese are tourist friendly.

@ novak

I totally agree with you.

i made several complaints about that matter.

avoid trams. use the Bus.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

When it rains the tiled sidewalks become slippery. I almost hurt myself on my first visit, first hour in Lisbon when I almost slipped and fell.

Montreal,Canada
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

Wonderful stuff!

faricas:

I was thinking of taking Tram 28. Are you saying it's best to avoid it and take a bus.

Also, where would I buy transportation tickets near Praca de Figueira.

Thanks again to everyone.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
100 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

You have to catch it.... the 28. It crosses some old and beautiful areas of lisbon. And it's lovely because it is an old tram.

You have to be aware about but don't worry to much about that..

But to avoid the other tram (15) you can catch a bus to belém.

From the center there are several options, better and cheaper.

714, 28 BUS (the one i use more often) for example.

You can buy a card in the metro (Rossio) and charge it with the money you want.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

The couvert thingy. Its bread, butter,olives and maybe spread served when you sit down. Its not free so check to see if you are ok with price per person. If not just ask server to take it away.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

Tram 28 is kind of a MUST do. Actually, the tram driver sold tickets and you could use bills to pay for the ticket. Do watch out for pick pockets but we had no problems especially since we always use money belts and keep digital cameras attached to our bodies either in a case that requires opening or with wrist/neck bands. We went to the beginning of Tram 28 which is at a stop near Praca Dom Pedro if I remember correctly. This was a good thing since we could pick a nice window seat. We stayed in the Chiado so it was an easy walk.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
71 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

We took a bus to Belem and it worked out well! We found the taxi drivers to be the best of the various cities we've taken cabs in Europe (mainly Rome and Madrid). Its a really pretty city! We loved it! We weren't there that long but it was still great!

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

I LOVE taxi drivers in Lisbon. Out of all the many cities in Europe that we have travelled, the taxi drivers in Lisbon are the best. Most we have dealt with have spoken excellent English and were more than willing to share all the great things to do in Lisbon openly and we received almost guided tours of Lisbon as they drove us to our lodgings.

I also think that taxi drivers in Lisbon (and Portugal) are more personable than other cities. Coming from the Boston area, many have connections to the New England area that has a large Portuguese population. Taxi rides are reasonable and part of the reason I love Lisbon.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you wish someone had told you?

bewere about picpockets in the 28 bus and others turist bus.

I'm from Lisbon, so, any question you have :)

it's very interesting for me to be on the outsider shoes about Lisbon.

have a nice trip all :)