We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area to stay in?

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mt Evelyn
Level Contributor
166 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
What area to stay in?

Hi all,

I am looking at a few different B&B and hotels but am unsure what area to stay in. We will be in Lisbon 3 nights and Sintra 2 nights. In Lisbon what do the estela and the alfama areas each have to offer and which of these would suit a couple in their 40's who like to walk around and get a feel for the city and the people.

Thanks

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,249 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area to stay in?

Estrela is a "new" neighbourhood when compared to Alfama. I prefer Estrela to stay and Alfama to visit during the day.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,968 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area to stay in?

We stayed in a convenient central location last month on the Avenida da Liberdade, hotel Veneza was comfortable and served a great breakfast. www.venere.com

Lisbon
Level Contributor
678 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area to stay in?

Estrela is a newer neighborhood with a Basilica and a nice garden. Subway is a bit far away.

Alfama is a very old neighborhood filled with tiny steep roads. It is very quaint and nice area and more central, but can be tirying everyday to move around the house.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area to stay in?

Estrela and the best b&b in Lisbon is in that area, The House tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189158-d181828…

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
671 posts
728 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What area to stay in?

We loved the Alfama neighbourhood, although I must admit it was difficult at times navigating the narrow and steep "roads". We made the mistake of staying further out from the centre of the city, and spent too much time on the Metro.

Mt Evelyn
Level Contributor
166 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What area to stay in?

Thanks so much for all the input. We have booked in the Alfama area at

Palacete Chafariz D'El Rei, which looks gorgeous. I guess we live outside of a city ourselves and really want to be somewhere central when on holiday.

Thanks again

CB

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
671 posts
728 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What area to stay in?

Hi CB...please let us know how the trip was. I can't wait until my next visit.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
52 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What area to stay in?

Did this trip happen yet? How did you like where you wound up staying in Lisbon?

Mt Evelyn
Level Contributor
166 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What area to stay in?

Hi all,

I have not been on my trip yet. We leave on May 2nd for 5 weeks in Europe. I am getting excited but it is still a while away. Will post some reports when I return I promise.

CB

Odivelas, Portugal
Level Contributor
13 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What area to stay in?

Stay in the city center near avenida da liberdade. If you want to stay in an old bairro stay in bairro alto, but be careful with the location because some parts are dangerous. Lisbon is a dead city during the nigth since it has loads of offices in the city center