We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Week - Lisbon & Porto - Advice Needed

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
1 Week - Lisbon & Porto - Advice Needed

Hi

We only have a week and are trying to decide wether we should split the time between Lisbon and Porto or just stay in Lisbon. Initially we thought we would do 4 days in Lisbon and then go to Porto.

I am one who loves to walk everywhere and tend to be constantly on the go while visiting a new city. Unfortunately I am still recovering from a broken bone in my foot and expect it to be much better in a couple of months but I suspect it will slow me down a bit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,592 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Week - Lisbon & Porto - Advice Needed

You could take a day trip to Porto by train www.cp/pt

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,648 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Week - Lisbon & Porto - Advice Needed

Don't do just a day trip to Porto, it deserves much more. When are you coming? In June there are popular festivities in both cities (Lisboa on June 12/13 and Porto on June 23/24 in honor of the patron saints). I think that it depends on what you'll want to do, if you want to visit a lot of monuments, museums, discover what's in the city and surroundings beyond the tourist guides then 1 week it's short for both cities, if not then do 4 days in Lisboa and 3 in Porto.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
30 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Week - Lisbon & Porto - Advice Needed

I agree with the previous poster. If you really want to do both it is quite possible, but you'd have to stay 4 nights in Lisbon and 2 in Porto. A day trip takes too much time in transit to really get a feeling of what Porto is all about.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,729 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Week - Lisbon & Porto - Advice Needed

I agree that Porto deserves more than a daytrip. We have been there 3 days and would have loved to stay longer. Going back this June for a few days, by the way.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Week - Lisbon & Porto - Advice Needed

Thanks everyone for your responses. Sounds like I will be splitting my time between the two cities.

Since I will have such a short time in each place can anyone tell me what are the key places/museums etc that I shouldn't miss in each city?

Thank you

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Week - Lisbon & Porto - Advice Needed

I think you'd be wise to fly open jaw.............into one and out of the other.

The train trip between the two isn't long, but you'll still waste half a day.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Week - Lisbon & Porto - Advice Needed

Yes, that's exactly what I plan to do. I'll fly into Lisbon, spend a few days and take the train to Porto. I will fly back to Toronto from there. I beleive the train takes about 3 hours.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
30 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Week - Lisbon & Porto - Advice Needed

Very good idea tptr. That way you can save almost a day travelling.

In Lisbon you shouldn't miss all the old city centre: Alfama, Bairro Alto and Chiado and of course the Castelo de São Jorge for the beautiful views to the city. You should also take the old typical tram number 28, here's a video of what you should expect in several places in Lisbon: www.youtube.com/watch…

Also Belém with the monuments from the time of the discoveries: Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, Torre de Belém and of course the view to the Tagus river.

For me those are the most important things to see in Lisbon. If you still have some time and the stamina I would most definitely do a side trip to Sintra.

Don't forget to try the food which is very good and have a drink in one of the bars in Bairro Alto, I would recommend Maria Caxuxa which was my favorite bar when I lived in Lisbon (you can expect to have a drink with an old gigantic bakery mixer right beside you). Just go there before dinner to relax or after to party.

For Porto I will let someone else with more knowledge than me answer.

Please let me know if you have more queries.

Edited: 12 January 2012, 10:39
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Week - Lisbon & Porto - Advice Needed

Thank you Margarida. Appreciate the information.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 Week - Lisbon & Porto - Advice Needed

I done it twice on my three visits to Lisbon. A week in Lisbon and a few (3-4) days in Porto. They are very differnet cities. I have to say you have to see Porto at night so I never could recommend it as a daytrip.