We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pick pockets

Kuching
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pick pockets

My friend and I are planning to visit Lisbon in April. We heard of stories of pickpockets in main cities. We have two friends who visited the cities and both have encounters with pick pockets. I would like feedback on the seriousness of the problem. We are both female Asians and are worried we will stick out like a sore thumb in Europe.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,798 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pick pockets

Lisbon is as safe as your own home town, visit and enjoy and in fact you will come across a fair number of resident Asian persons.

Midlands
Level Contributor
47 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pick pockets

We had no problems and long as any where you use common sense you will be fine. Also very good mix of culture in Lisbon.

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
104 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pick pockets

Pick pockets are everywhere! By that I mean in every town in every part of the world.

Some times more, sometimes less.

Just be cautious!

Avoid carrying a backpack, or if you do so, carry it in front.

Pay attention while you take photos, while you're in crowded place, the metro, bus, etc. etc. etc.

General stuff...

I was a target of thieves quite a few times. And it has been in well off European cities.. The times I've been to poorer parts of the world no one even cared for my belongings...

Paris, France
Level Contributor
30 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pick pockets

That's the sort of thing that can happen everywhere in the world. Just use your normal common sense and you'll be fine. The suggestion regarding putting your backpack in the front is good while in the metro though. Either way, you should carry your money in some secret pocket at all times as usual in big cities.

Kuching
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Pick pockets

Thanks for your reassurances. We were apprehensive about the safety of our wallets :) I agree that pickpockets are everywhere. It is just that stories from friends made it more "real".

Paris, France
Level Contributor
30 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pick pockets

Do not worry, Corina. And enjoy your trip! It is a wonderful destination. :)

Edited: 29 January 2012, 12:27
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pick pockets

You will love LIsbon! Just stay alert and keep your belongings close to you at all times. I carry a money belt and only enough euro for the day in a front pocket. Use the safe in your hotel room. As people have noted, take extra care on buses and while taking the metro. Your best defense are your two eyes. Use them and stay focused. You can still enjoy Lisbon because it is a fabulous city.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pick pockets

I have visited Lisbon three times and hopefully this year again too. When I am Lisbon I feel very safe. I even to take a short nap in a park. I will add I look like a touriist, because I do not care if people know I not a local. I carry expensive (by tourist standards) camera gear and carry a map in my back pocket because I do get off the tourist path.

But I will admit I do take extra precations when riding the Tram 28 and 15 when it is crowded. I do not take out the camera, I not looking out the window and I will try to stand in the back of Tram 28.

Kuching
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Pick pockets

Your positive comments is very assuring. We will definitely remember your advice when we are in Portugal and Spain. Thanks.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
33 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pick pockets

Me and my girlfriend have been to Lisbon this week. Beautiful trip, maybe I'll make a report.

Anyway on tram 28 I easily spotted e couple of robbers, because they came down at portas do sol and went on another 28 in the opposite direction. Later we jumped on a 28 and they were with other 3 people (for a total of five). When we got on board the tram made a rough movement and my girlfriend was falling on one of them, I immediately blocked her and her bag. They tried to rob a couple of Asians at the following stop, unsuccessfully.

They can be spotted by the looks and clothes. The fact is that if they're in numbers they can block you and there's not a lot you can do.

Another thing I'm sure of, is that tram drivers work with them and get a percentage of the robberies. They brake on purpose and make rough curves to unbalance people and make their work easier. And there's no way they don't know them!