We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling Portugal 17-21FEB

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling Portugal 17-21FEB

Hi everyone,

I'll be in Portugal in the next couple of weeks for 5 days. I have no clue what to do, where to go and how it's going to be yet - so please give me some advices.

- What are the must see places and must eat cuisines?

- Besides Lisbon (where I'm going to fly in), which other cities should be in my itinerary? I'm thinking about Porto at the moment .. And how are the intercity bus and/or intercity train?

- Where can I find budget accomodations in Lisbon? Since I'm a female solo travelver, security is very important.

- What are the things to do in Lisbon and what weather to expect around that time?

I'm just sooo excited now and can't wait for the trip!!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
19,865 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling Portugal 17-21FEB

With only 5 days stay in Lisboa and do day trips to the surronding towns and villages instead of spending a lot of time travelling to cities that are further away. You have hostels in Lisboa, one is just at a train station http://www.rossiopatio.com/site/

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling Portugal 17-21FEB

The 21 February is a holiday in Portugal, it is Carnival, so bear that in mind, depending on what time you depart.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,475 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling Portugal 17-21FEB

The weather currently is rather colder than it normally is during February.

Normally it will be around 15-17C during the day, 9-11C at night but at this time it is only 6.4C in Lisbon! Let's hope it becomes warmer for you.

Also it does rain, often quite heavily, in a normal February, so you must be ready for that.

A journey to Porto is 3hours + by train, 4hours + by bus so I would not go to Porto in the little time you have available. Lisbon and the area has much to see and five days may not be enough for that.

Your other questions will be answered if you look across to the right and click the items under 'Top Questions' and to left under 'Travel Guide'

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling Portugal 17-21FEB

Hey there!

I'm also a female solo traveller and will be in lisbon at around 20 -21Feb.

Have noooo idea what to do there too...

I'll try to figure sth out these days and share the info with u!!

Soooo looking forward too:))

Edited: 04 February 2012, 03:06
Lisbon
Level Contributor
678 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling Portugal 17-21FEB

Hi,

Five days is not a lot so I do think you should stay in the city and do day tours around.

Must see places: Belém, the downtown, Alfama, Sintra, Cascais and Parque das Nações.

Must eat cuisine: the portuguese cuisine is very extensive and characteristic and you will not find even similar plates in restaurants next door. Still you should not miss the cakes, namely the custard tarts of Belém, the travesseiros of Sintra, amongst many others. Portugal is a seafaring nation and so fish tends to be very good as well as shellfish. Besides that you have chesses, charcuterie, wines and many others. There are many characteristic plates as well.

About lodging you can stay in a hostel in a dorm which is one of the cheapest and nicest ways to meet new people. There are excellent hostels in Lisbon amongst the best in the world like Travellers House, Yes! Lisbon Hostel, Rossio Patio Hostel, This is Lisbon Hostel or The Independente Hostel & Suites, just to name a few. They create a lot of activities to their guests and all of these hostels are amazing to stay at.

Have a nice trip!

- Where can I find budget accomodations in Lisbon? Since I'm a female solo travelver, security is very important.

- What are the things to do in Lisbon and what weather to expect around that time?

I'm just sooo excited now and can't wait for the trip!!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling Portugal 17-21FEB

Thanks guys for all the valuable advice. I've decided to just stay in Lisboa instead of trying to cram Porto in. That would be too much, plus the weather in Porto is probably even colder then Lisboa .. and I'm not too fond of cold weather anyways.

I just read an article about Tram 28, and think that is the starting point for discovering Lisboa.

Could someone please give me some ideas on how to get around Lisboa? I heard there's a tram/bus/subway card. What's the best way to go about it?

Cheerios ;)

7. Re: Traveling Portugal 17-21FEB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2013, 10:38