We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorites outside of Lisbon?

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Favorites outside of Lisbon?

3 weekdays in late March allocated to exploring outside of the big city. We will have a car but do not want to spend all of our time in the car! Don't mind sleeping in a different town each night. Would like to see the coast...north or south? Favorite winery? Any good hikes? Depart/Return to Lisbon airport. I would love to hear about your most favorite places . . .off the beaten path aokay. Thank you!

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,418 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorites outside of Lisbon?

I would of course recommend Lisboa itself. Sintra is nice, although a bit touristy.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorites outside of Lisbon?

The nereast cities near by Lisbon are: Queluz, Sintra, Cascais and Estoril. In Queluz you only have to visit the Palácio de Queluz, very beautiful btw. In Sintra you can visit the Palácio de Sintra, Quinta da Regaleira, Castelo dos Mouros and Palácio da Pena. Cascais and Estoril are beaches, good to take a walk. If you want to go further, you can go to Setubal, Sesimbra, Serra da Arrábida or Alcobaça, Óbidos, Nazaré and Batalha.

Edited: 07 February 2012, 14:05
Devon UK
Level Contributor
236 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorites outside of Lisbon?

If you go north, you will find great, empty beaches near Obidos.. Mies of white sand, big crashing waves. And Obidos itself is a pretty, cobbled, blue and white walled town, (city??) - its quite small, very quaint. Less touristy than Sintra but still quite chocolate-box.

Or if you go east, Lisbon is not that far from Evora, heritage site and capital of Alentejo, very beautiful, tons of culture, fantastic local red wines, check out virtually any adega (wine lodge) you pass, we found Monsaraz particularly good. And it will be warmer inland. - great for a day and a night.

Have a good trip.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorites outside of Lisbon?

Love the Evora and Obidos ideas...thanks doomdoom!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorites outside of Lisbon?

Thanks for info - that helps me a lot to plan my trip to as I have the same restrictions as kd626.

Question, do you thing it's better or necessary to rent a car or can do all this by train or bus? I am still debating if I should rent one or not (I will be alone).

Thanks

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
100 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorites outside of Lisbon?

Hi

I would say Sintra and Évora. 2 beautiful places!

Sintra is easy to get a train in downtown Lisbon at Rossio Station.

Évora is better to get a bus (cheap and 2h journey) or a rental car if you want also can be an option but more expensive.

Have a great trip.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,214 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorites outside of Lisbon?

Chica420 - Sintra itself deserves one full day, if you are staying in Lisboa you can buy the Train & Bus ticket (Cais do Sodré train station sell it). The ticket is valid for one day and for an unlimited number of trips on the CP lines of Sintra, Cascais and the entire transport network Scotturb, except for the urban service in Cascais-Buscas; it costs 12€. You can go to Sintra, visit, take the bus (Scotturb) to Cascais and return to Lisboa by train.

To go to Évora you have bus and also the train, 4 trains/day, 12€ (2nd class, 1h30 journey).

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorites outside of Lisbon?

Thank you very much faricas and 64novpt! Much appreciated!

Sintra, Cascais and Evora are now definitely on my list.

I am at the stage of evaluating if I should book accommodation all nights in Lisbon or stay outside for some of the places...

If you have any suggestions where I must visits outside Lisbon, they are always welcome!

Cheers and thanks a lot everyone.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorites outside of Lisbon?

Evora may be a bit far, however nearer to Lisboa the absolute musts are Alcobaca, Batalha and Tomar ( all UNESCO World Heritage sites). Do all three in the one trip but stay in Tomar as the Convento do Christo - the 12C Nights Templar fortress - needs about 3 hours to visit. You can then go on to Evora. Visit Santorem on the way back.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorites outside of Lisbon?

That's a good help NomadicTravel!

Alcobaca, Batalha and Tomar in 2 days and a stay overnight in Tomar?

The go Evora, stay overnight and Santorem on the way back?

Edited: 19 February 2012, 20:35