We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening Locations

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
646 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Evening Locations

Hi - having read a couple of guide books its clear that barrio Alto is obvs the place to be at night. Wde are a group of 6 women travelling later this year and will prob spend a couple of evenings in this area.

Am looking at apartments at the moment and have narrowed down to Chiado and baixa areas.

Is Chiado actually on the hill - i.e its a stright walk to barrio Alto?

Whilst our preference is Chiado because we feel it may be nearer to where we will be going out, for a couple of reasons the apartments in baixa (in terms of facilities) may be better suited to us - they are parallel to Rua Augusta. Is this an ok place to stay?

From what i've read it only mentiones 2 ways to get up to barrio Alto from baixa - the funicular and the lift. Am assuming you can actually walk up there / back down from there? What is the walk like? Will it be ok at 2am in the morning? Assume the funicular and lift is not working in early hours of the morning?

Am really looking to see how accessible Barrio Alto is (and how safe it is to get there and back) from Rua Augusta area late at night.

Also, have asked this question before - will we need air con in October? The respknse i had was to a weather web site which wasn't much help really. Guess im trying to gauge really what temps are like - it says on average 18?? And does it get a lot cooler in the evening?

Thank you

SE Portland
Level Contributor
158 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening Locations

Hi Looby,

You will not need air condition at night. All of Lisbon is walkable during the days wearing comfortable shoes. There are the elevators and funiculars. They are neat, but you are not limited to using them to get from one level to the other. There are stairs and sidewalks to walk up and along allowing you to traverse the hillsides.

I have never felt unsafe late at night. Taxis are inexpensive in Lisbon. The evenings will be coolish: light jacket and or sweater.

The hardest thing to guage when booking an apartment in my experience has been the noise. This would be a reason to wish to have circulating air is so you can close the windows and shutters and keep the noise out at night.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
646 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening Locations

Thanks you for your reply.

How long would it take to walk from Rua Augusta to Barrio Alto?

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening Locations

Rua Augusta is the pedestrianised main street in Baixa, full of touristy restaurants. I stayed on Rossio Square in Baixa, the main thing that I didn't like about Baixa was the number of drug sellers approaching me (an annoyance rather than a threat). It may be that as a group of ladies you are less likely to be approached. It is an ok place to stay in the respect that it's very near the riverfront, and you can walk to sights like the cathedral or tram it very quickly into Alfama from here. I didn't manage to stay up until 2am so can't really help with that aspect (certainly at midnight it's still busy on the streets).

The Santa Justa lift (until 9pm) leads you right up to Largo de Carmo in Chiado, which yes is on the hill, from where you can walk to Bairro Alto (from what I recall, mostly level but still with a slight incline). You can walk from Baixa to Chiado via the slope up Rua de Carmo from the corner of Rossio Square (during the day you can also go via the Amazens department store using the escalators).

Alternatively take Tram 28 from Rua Da Conceição‎ in Baixa to Praça Luis Camões‎ in Chiado. This is also where the Baixa-Chiado metro station is; although you can take the metro here 1 stop from Rossio, I found it a bit of a false economy due to really long escalators within the metro station etc.

The best way direct from Baixa to Bairro Alto really is the funicular as walking straight from Baixa to Bairro Alto via Chiado is a bit of a way - though walking back would be much easier as downhill.

Don't forget that Lisbon's streets (well, those accessible to cars) are on Google Streetview so you can check out the route

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,199 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Evening Locations

No, you won't need air cond. in October unless there is a freak weather situation.

Chiado/Baixa is a great place to stay.........if renting an apt, be certain it's on a side street rather than main thoroughfare.

You can get up there by a number of means, but yes, the funiculars stop operating at a specified time.

Lisbon taxis are a great way to go. The drivers (most) are honest, and the rates are good.

We secured our apartment through homeaway.com

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
646 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Evening Locations

Great thank you for your replies - very helpful.

If we were to walk from Baixa to Bairro Alto direct, how long would this take?

Is it a difficult walk uphill?

Is it too near for a taxi or would a taxi in the evening be the best bet?

Sorry for more questions!!

SE Portland
Level Contributor
158 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Evening Locations

Hi Looby,

"The geography of Lisbon can be confusing if you haven't been there. It's also a very hilly city, and maps can be deceptive when they show two parallel streets (when one is thirty metres above the other)."

Above refers to this interactive map : tripadvisor.com/Travel-g189158-s204/Lisbon:P…

It won't take long is a meaningless answer to how long will it take to get from one neighborhood to the other. They share boundaries and might be back to back, but there's that hill! Read over Bayboys's entry with the map. Rua de Carmo takes you right along about a three story incline over 4 city blocks . Minutes.

Lots of people go out in Lisbon. Some wear pretty shoes and it works out real well for them. I take all sorts of shoes when I go there but wear my sneakers all the time. You'll get the lay of the land soon as you arrive and if you want to take a taxi in the evening before you have it figured out it's OKAY!!! You all will have a bunch of fun.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
646 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Evening Locations

Great thank you. Sound like they are both central locations.

By day we will do lots of walking, tram etc it's more the evening I'm thinking about.

But this won't be a problem if taxis are willing to take us to our evening destinations!!!

Sounds like the walk to Bairro Alto from the Chiado location is pretty simple though will check this on the interactive map.

If we stayed in the Baixa location are taxis readily available and where would the nearest taxi rank be found?

I've seen on a couple of posts that ths area can be a bit quiet and drug dealers at night is this right? Odd as I looked on google maps street view at both streets - the one in Baixa looks. Lot nicer than he one in Chiado!

SE Portland
Level Contributor
158 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Evening Locations

Hi Looby,

Gee, I don't know where the taxi ranks are? I'm guessing that you are young and vibrant and even at 2 in the morning you will be able to walk back to your apartment!! I think looking at the map that it is hard to guage the scale of the part of Lisbon that you are will be visiting. It is pretty much smooshed together. For me the issue would be getting lost! I have found myself having walked in a great big circle returning where I started a FEW TIMES and I might feel discouraged with this at 2 in the morning. Amongst the 6 of you, someone will have a better sense of direction I have never been approached by a drug dealer.

At clubs and places there will people who speak English and can point you to taxi ranks, maybe call one for you if you feel you need. Have fun!

9. Re: Evening Locations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2013, 10:47