We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lisbon weather?

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
U.S.A.
Level Contributor
28 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Lisbon weather?

Can anyone - preferrably a local resident - explain the weather pattern for Lisbon? Although the weather presently looks great, upon our arrival in Lisbon later this week, most of the weather forecasts are predicting highs only in the low-mid 60's with rain. When we planned our trip last year, all the guide books indicated May is one of the best months to travel to Portugal with mainly sunny skies and balmy temps? Weekend forecast sounds more appropriate for northern Scandanavia.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,399 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lisbon weather?

If you want to see the pattern from the last 30 years look at this link http://www.meteo.pt/en/oclima/clima.normais/012/; the day that northern Scandinavia has a climate like ours, even when it rains, we will be like the sahara desert. But who knows, maybe that day it's not that far away.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
141 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lisbon weather?

The weather is shifting all over, I believe even in the US :) so you can't really predict with accuracy.

We are now wearing our T's but for Thursday temperatures will drop 10ºC and some showers are expected, even though much warmer than Scandinavia.

Usually May and June/ September and October are good to visit. But...you never know!

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
292 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lisbon weather?

Gkuta - I'm an American but for what it's worth, on the day my wife and I recently left for a weeklong vacation in Lisbon (April 30), the 10 day forecast showed rain every single day, much to my dismay. Although there were sporadic light rain showers, 6 of the 7 days were sunny and in no way interfered with our vacation. (On the one day it poured terribly we went to the oceanario and the big indoor shopping mall nearby.) So I really hope you have a similar experience with the weather.

That said, if you are banking on beach weather for a stay in Cascais, it may be slightly more problematic. But for sight seeing, don't let the forecast worry you too much. At least that was my experience and I hope it works out well for you. We loved our vacation to Portugal and our friends and family have commented on how beautiful the weather was in our pictures!

ireland
Level Contributor
766 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lisbon weather?

We're going on Friday (first time, looking forward to it!) and the weather does look pretty poor but it's only Monday. I'm not sure how accurate predictions are so far in advance. Look the day before u leave so u know what to pack! (or do what I do and torture urself every day or try to find a weather site that predicts good weather!) hope u have a lovely trip.

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
28 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lisbon weather?

Thanks for all your replies. I fully understand and realize that weather patterns across the globe are extremely fickle. We do however enjoy exploring destinations by walking and like to relax at outside cafes and restaurants. Nonetheless, we're going to have to play the hand that is dealt us and make the best of any situation that arises.

I also encountered a situation similar to NYTravelerBD several years ago when traveling to a caribbean island. Just days prior to departure the weather forecast indicated 7 days of heavy rain, almost prompting us to cancel our vacation. We went despite the forecasts and enjoyed 7 days of perfect sunny, hot weather without a cloud in the sky! We will hope for the best.

Again, thanks for your replies.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
678 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lisbon weather?

We had a winter with almost no rain and sunny skies everyday. Eventually, rain would come.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lisbon weather?

http://www.meteo.pt/en/index.html

glasgow
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lisbon weather?

hi, Can anyone local please give an update on the weather just now leading into the first week in october? Would love to come the first week in october and really would love some beach time :)

Fingers crossed

Thanks

9. Re: Lisbon weather?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2012, 17:53
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
43 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lisbon weather?

this year my guess is that october will be good!