We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best way to get to Porto from Lisbon

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
The best way to get to Porto from Lisbon

HI All,

Im travelling from Lisbon to Porto , im looking of catching a train but i've been advise that the public transport in portugal is too difficult and not that reliable by a friend and she recommend me to drive instead. However so my public transport experience in europe is pretty ok.

Thanks in advance

200 replies to this topic
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,911 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: The best way to get to Porto from Lisbon

I will see what I can do unless someone gets there first.

Obviously driving is the best way and what most people will choose to do.

Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
32. Re: The best way to get to Porto from Lisbon

Hi,

I have been trying to read this thread in depth to understand the train system from Porto-Lisbon but will need the destination experts to provide some advice:

1) In Porto, I am staying very near to Sao Bento train station, but I read that the direct train from Porto to Lisbon is at Campanha instead. So is it advisable for me to board the train at Sao Bento and change train at Campanha? or to take the Metro to Campanha and change to train?

2) Is there a chance that there is a direct train from Porto-Sao Bento to Lisbon Santa Apolonia? I understand there are different types of train.

3) In Lisbon, I will be staying at Baixa-Chiado. Is it better to get off the train at Oriente and change to the Metro? Will we have to change train if we continue our trip on to Santa Apolonia?

Thanks in advance!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
19,405 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: The best way to get to Porto from Lisbon

1) When you buy a ticket for the train from Campanhã to Lisboa, it includes the regional train from S. Bento to Campanhã. You just have to check the schedules to be on the safe side.

2) No, there's not.

3) Exit at Santa Apolónia (the majority of trains from Porto will have their final stop there), take the metro (blue line) to Baixa-Chiado it's the 2nd stop.

Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
34. Re: The best way to get to Porto from Lisbon

Hi 64novpt

Thank you so much for your advice.

Last questions:

1) Am I right to say I will not have to change train at Oriente to get to Santa Apolonia?

2) Is the train changing process very confusing? From what you have suggested, I will board the train at Sao Bento, then do the train transfer at Campanha. If I am not able to find the right train to board at Campanha and end up missing the train? Am I able to board the next one?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,405 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: The best way to get to Porto from Lisbon

1) no change on majority of trains, only those going to the Algarve-Faro don't stop at Santa Apolónia.

2) the changing of trains is done via an underground tunnel where the lines number are displayed (and there are not that many lines...), if you have a 15min interval between trains there's no reason to not finding it. If you miss the train you have to go to the ticket office and change your ticket, seat reservation is mandatory you can not just enter another train and seat....

Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
36. Re: The best way to get to Porto from Lisbon

Thank you very much! I have booked my train tickets:)

Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: The best way to get to Porto from Lisbon

Hello

Are there any luggage racks above the seats on the Lisbon to Porto train that can take either a suitcase or hand luggage with wheels, please?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,405 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: The best way to get to Porto from Lisbon

There are racks for small luggage, big suitcases will not fit there, those have to stay at a designated area when entering the carriages.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
39. Re: The best way to get to Porto from Lisbon

Hi everyone, I'm planning to fly from Lisbon to Porto by plane on my way Back I will take a morning train from Porto to Lisbon.. I'm planning to stay in someone's apartment in the center of Porto..My question is which train station ticket should I buy for going to Lisbon from Porto.. There are several train station options??? I'm aiming to go to Lisbon airport as closest I can get..Please give me advice..

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: The best way to get to Porto from Lisbon

hi,lisbon oriente is where you want to be going to from porto,from oriente in lisbon it's a short taxi ride to the airport or a short trip on the metro.seat reservations on the train porto to lisbon are compulsary and can be bought upto 60 days in advance www.cp.pt you can buy your ticket on the day but if the train you want to catch is full then you have to wait for the next avaliable one.

Reply to: The best way to get to Porto from Lisbon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted