We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portugal for the First Time: Lisbon or Porto?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Portugal for the First Time: Lisbon or Porto?

I've studied the forums and it seems when the question is asked, Lisbon wins out slightly. (I'll post this in different forums to see if there are wildly varying perspectives)

My husband and I have a week in July to get away "sans children". We are fairly well-travelled and easy to please, but have never been to Portugal. We enjoy historical sites, good, simple food and wine, great scenery and simply relaxing and taking in the sights, sounds and culture. No beaches and no wild night life required.

If all else was equal, I might opt for Lisbon. The reason I'm asking is that there are ridiculously well-priced packages this summer from Canada to Porto (flight, accommodation, breakfast for less than an econo flight) Think I should grab this or spend about $1,000 more for the week in Lisbon?

I appreciate your time and your suggestions in responding. Much appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Likely To Sell Out
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,090 Reviews
from US$89.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Fátima, Nazaré, and Óbidos...
705 Reviews
from US$89.50*
Special Offer
Lisbon Super Saver: 2-Day Sintra...
303 Reviews
from US$161.10*
US$179.00
Lisbon
Level Contributor
249 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portugal for the First Time: Lisbon or Porto?

Difficult to answer objectively.

Porto is a very interesting city with great sightseeing, people and food, but Lisbon is a major european attraction. One is northern in arquitecture, way of life and even weather an the other is typical mediterranean.

Why don't you grab the opportunity to go to Porto and come to Lisbon next year ?

Or extend your trip a take 3/4 days in Porto and one week in Lisbon ?

Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portugal for the First Time: Lisbon or Porto?

"Think I should grab this or spend about $1,000 more for the week in Lisbon?"

Then I would go with Porto because of $1000.

Porto and Lisbon are wonderful cities and if you go to Porto do not think for one second you would have enjoy Portugal more if you started with Lisbon. I know I enjoy myself in Porto and Lisbon. They are different and that is why I go back.

With that $1000 saved you can plan your next trip to Portugal.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
44 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portugal for the First Time: Lisbon or Porto?

go to porto if it's that less to you, because they are diferent but you will enjoy both so pick the less expensive I think. and you can do both you can go to lisbon from Porto by train it's 30€ or less and then get back to porto.

Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portugal for the First Time: Lisbon or Porto?

Are you looking at the Sunwing packages for July?

Wow, I looked, and they're nice package prices. I'd definitely not hesitate going to Porto with something that affordable.

Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portugal for the First Time: Lisbon or Porto?

Yes, those are packages we're considering.

Thank you for all of your replies. ( I especially appreciate the candor given that this is the Lisbon forum!)

My actions are rarely dictated by price alone... but in this case, there's little to lose and we've always wanted to see Portugal. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about the people and the culture.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply. I'm booking tomorrow. Travel is an indulgence we tend to put off too often. Carpe diem!

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portugal for the First Time: Lisbon or Porto?

7cees:

We were in Porto last October. send me a pm if you want any input.

tptr

Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portugal for the First Time: Lisbon or Porto?

We have done both. Lisbon is the capital so it is has more of a cosmo feeling. Porto has a home town feel to it. You might also consider a day trip to Lisbon from Porto. It is only about a 2 hour train ride - very reasonably priced. With the extra $1000 you could plan a few day trips.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Somerset, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portugal for the First Time: Lisbon or Porto?

'' historical sites, good, simple food and wine, great scenery and simply relaxing and taking in the sights, sounds and culture. No beaches and no wild night life required''

Sounds like you need to plan in a trip to Tomar , which is one of the countries Historical gems, located in Central Portugal and hour and a half North of Lisbon !

Originally the home of the The Knight's Templars, the Convento do Cristo Castle, sits overlooking the town and is on the Unesco World Heritage List.

Tomar also has a selection of very good restaurants

Mentioned in this post
Tomar
Tomar
Santarem District, Portugal
Lisbon
Lisbon
9. Re: Portugal for the First Time: Lisbon or Porto?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 06:42