We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking for a day's sightseeing

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
22 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Parking for a day's sightseeing

Hi

We are spending 2 weeks in Obidos in August, and plan to drive into Lisbon 3 or 4 times during that time.

Can anyone recommend a good place in the city to leave the car for the day, preferably near a public transport link to the rest of the city. Would it be better to park at the airport? If we did that, what's the best transport link to use to get to the city centre?

Also, re public transport, what's the most economical card to get for individual days public transport tickets - covereing th emost transport options? - I'm confused about ones that seem to cover the bus, but not metro, metro but not trams etc etc.

Thanks for your help!

bristol uk
Level Contributor
982 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking for a day's sightseeing

Friends of ours wanted to visit Lisbon from Nazare- they parked at the Odivelas metro station as it's at the end of one of the metro lines. You can purchase a daily ticket that covers the metro and trams (and I think the buses) it will be around €5 per person - sorry haven't purchased one since last summer; the taxes have increased so that is my best guess. Getting this ticket from the automated machines in the ticket halls is trying if you don't speak Portugese so try and find a person to help you. The airport is not on the metro system. You can get the aerobus into the city - I think the cost is €3.50 pp that ticket is only good for the buses. No idea where you would leave a car but there must be a long term car park. At the Marquis de Pombal there is a hop on/off base; there are 3 hop on/off buses - each going to a different part of the city. Tramwise no. 28 is the main one that tourists get on. It is very crowded but an enjoyable ride. I have picked this up at Martim Moniz - as I know where the stop is in the square. Hope this helps and a local expert is able to offer more advice.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking for a day's sightseeing

Hi:

Don't park at the airport. For short term, it will be expensive, at least 16€ for the day on the high rotation parks.

Use the Odivelas Metro parking station, or the parking under the Oriente Train station that I believe is 5€/day and it has the subway right there.

Another alternative is the public parking space of the Sporting futeball stadium, but I don't know how much it cost.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,733 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking for a day's sightseeing

According to the company that manages paid street parking in the city (EMEL), there are 3 areas in the city where you can park the all day buying a day ticket that costs 3€. Those areas are Avenida Brasília; Marquês da Fronteira (on the top of Parque Eduardo VII) and Quinta da Luz. Apparently the parking machines also have that ticket available.

Lisbon
Level Contributor
249 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking for a day's sightseeing

Parking Marques Pombal is quite cheap (not more than 11 euros / day) and very central

5. Re: Parking for a day's sightseeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2013, 06:15