We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train or bus travel from madrid spain to fatima portugal

palawan
3 posts
Save Topic
train or bus travel from madrid spain to fatima portugal

My travel dates are sept 25 leaving madrid for fatima, to return to madrid sept 28 2012: is there a bus servicing this route, and where

can I pick it up from? Is train travel recommended for this trip?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,238 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train or bus travel from madrid spain to fatima portugal

Check the low cost flight companies from Madrid to Lisboa. Once in Lisboa you'll have hourly buses to Fátima.

You have one night train from Madrid to Lisboa, you can exit at Entroncamento and change to a train to Fátima, but the train station in Fátima it's far from the sanctuary. International train timetable www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do…

Alsa bus company has a bus that does a connection to Fátima alsa.es/portal/…

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,579 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train or bus travel from madrid spain to fatima portugal

I agree train is not a good idea. The train station called Fátima is 20km from the town and sanctuary. There are very few buses.

Best to follow advice from nov64pt and either fly to Lisbon and take the bus from there or go direct by bus with ALSA, although the latter is a long journey it is still quicker than the train.

In Lisbon, the Fátima buses leave from the Sete Rios bus station, which is accessible from the airport by metro (subway) to the Jardim Zoologico station.

Bus times at www.rede-expressos.pt

palawan
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: train or bus travel from madrid spain to fatima portugal

Thank you for your quick and very helpful reply. I checked on airfares Madrid Barajas to Lisboa, and yes these are most attractive.

palawan
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train or bus travel from madrid spain to fatima portugal

Thank you for your valued advice, and particularly for providing the name of

the bus station. When I went into sites for train timetables, my problem was

that I did not know the station names and could not click on the info I needed.

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: train or bus travel from madrid spain to fatima portugal

what is the best and cheapest way to get from Fatima to Spain for 7 adults?

Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: train or bus travel from madrid spain to fatima portugal

What is the best and cheapest way to travel from Fatimah to Madrid

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,579 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train or bus travel from madrid spain to fatima portugal

Check the bus options above.

www.rede-expressos.pt for Fátima to Lisbon, ticket is €11,50 each

www.alsa.es for Lisbon - Madrid, also www.avanzabus.com and www.anibal.eu each of those will be around €45 for one adult ticket.

The trip will take at least 10 hours. There is no direct route. Train is not really an option as the station at Fátima is 20km from the town and there is only one train each night (no trains in daytime) to Madrid. You can check for times and fares at www.renfe.com note that reservation is essential.

You can also fly between Lisbon and Madrid as mentioned above. Low cost airlines Easyjet and Vueling may be not much more expensive than the bus, but you must add the costs of getting to and from airports.. The buses from Fátima to Lisbon do not go anywhere near the Lisbon airport.

I hope that helps.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train or bus travel from madrid spain to fatima portugal

If it's any use now, we found a very cheap flight to Lisbon from Valencia (25 euros and no extras with Easyjet) and you can get to Valencia in 2 hours by AVE (high speed train) from Madrid.

9. Re: train or bus travel from madrid spain to fatima portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 05:18