We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Portugal

Which Lisbon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Portugal

Hi,

Visiting Portugal this weekend for 3 days. I know, it's way too short, but given the time - what do you suggest I see?

Have planned my itinerary roughly as below:

Day 1 - Lisbon, Sintra, Cascais, Estoril

Day 2 - Faro/Lagos

Day 3 - Porto

Do you think this will work out? Also, any site that gives me day tours to these places? As of now, am planning to go myself.

Please advice.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,160 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Portugal

Your itinerary won't work I'm afraid. I suggest you stay in Lisbon, look around for 2 days and take 1 day for Sintra.

Days are short and nothing will be open before 10.00 am.

There are tour companies, you could use the search mode above for recommendations?

Faro/Lagos: the South coast is empty in wintertime. Not much going on. You won't miss anything.

Porto: come back for Porto and stay there 2 nights.

http://www.visitlisboa.com/Lisbon.aspx

http://www.golisbon.com/

www.golisbon.com/portugal/cities/sintra.html

Edited: 14 January 2013, 23:25
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Portugal

Its possible to do that if you plane lands very early on the first day and leaves very late on the last:

On day one you can do this tour (starts 9 am) :

www.dianatours.pt/en/index.php…

Day 2 its a private tour that does not offer Faro as an example but I am sure they can include it but if you wish . However it does include by default Silves, Portimão, Lagos, Sagres and Cape St Vicente:

lisboasightseeing.com/lisbon_tours_pal.html

This one in day 3 (starts 9AM):

www.dianatours.pt/en/index.php…

Cheers

Edited: 15 January 2013, 00:01
London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Portugal

Thanks guys for prompt replies. It was very helpful and gave me a picture on what I need to do.

However I am confused if I need to visit Algarve at all, seen your reply that Algarve is not going to be much in Winter. So, what do you say? Do I need to replace that with some town like Fatima or any other?

Please suggest, however we're interested to see how lovely the Algarve beaches are.

Thanks.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Portugal

Hi:

The travel/day plan is, in my opinion a very tight schedule I'm afraid.

For the private tour at Algarve, it might be worth it, but keep in mind that from Lisbon to Algarve by motorway is at least two hours and quarter drive, So you might leave very early to use the full day.

My personal problem with these tours is that it keeps time short at visits, due to high level of millage needed to cover all sites.

I would use another travel to go to Algarve....

For Lisbon:

Day one: Not sure at what time is the arrival, but I would keep in Lisbon.

- Downtown

- Chiado

- Castle

- A trip on the 28 tram

- Belem and Geronimos

- pastel de nata at belem :) :)

- Monumento das descobertas.

Day two:

- Sintra

- The village

- The village palace

- Must visit Palacio da Regaleira

- Moorish castle

- Pena Palace

- Cascais

Day three:

Not sure if you leave this day, or not.

But better than Fatima, that I thinks is 100% over rated, if you're not the religious type ( not to be offensive), is Mafra, Alcobaça, or even Evora, reachable by train.

For Porto, it's a city on its own, and one day trip (600km) won't allow to see much.

Book another visit to Porto, by low cost, and see Porto and the amazing Douro valley by train or boat.

Hope this helps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Portugal

Thanks for that, its very useful.

I am landing at 10:30am on Day 1 in Lisbon and flying back on Day 3 at 8pm.

So, do you think I can club both Lisbon and Sintra in 1 day? I have seen few tours that offer half day visits to Sintra + Cascais + Estoril coast.

And I can cover Porto + Douro Valley on the other days leaving Algarve out of question.

We'll be travelling to all the places such as Porto or any other place by train (other than tours). So we're ready to kick start our days as early as 6am to use our time to the most.

6. Re: 3 days in Portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 January 2013, 00:35
7. Re: 3 days in Portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 05:19