We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant, Cafe or Bakery near the Novotel Lisboa.

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,867 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant, Cafe or Bakery near the Novotel Lisboa.

Good morning all,

We will arrive early evening at the above hotel in June. We will not want to go far on our first evening. A 5 - 10 minute walk.

Also, the breakfast in the hotel is relatively expensive at Euros 11 per person.

Can anyone suggest a restaurant, cafe, bar or bakery for our first evening and/or the subsequent mornings?

For the evening we would prefer local food and some wine and for breakfasts either something cooked (eggs) or pastries and coffee.

Help please.

Many thanks,

Peter & Jean. :o)

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant, Cafe or Bakery near the Novotel Lisboa.

I've stayed there a couple of years ago and there is precious little in the area especially at weekends, it being primarily a business district.

As I recall there are some small cafés and restaurants nearby, including one opposite and also in the next street (Avenida Columbo Bordalo Pinheiro) heading towards the railway station of Sete Rios.

None are more than 5 minutes walk, so it would be worth taking time out to have a quick look around. I can't recommend anywhere as I arrived late and left early.

As for getting something cooked in the mornings, almost certainly impossible. It's not a Portuguese thing.

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,867 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant, Cafe or Bakery near the Novotel Lisboa.

Hi cubsur,

Many thanks for the quick reply.

We want to eat the local food as much as possible and I am not surprised at the "no cooked food" for breakfast.

We will be more than happy to eat the local breakfasts.

If you have the time can you tell us what the local people would eat for breakfast? Thanks.

A walk around the area on our first evening sounds a good idea.

Thanks again,

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant, Cafe or Bakery near the Novotel Lisboa.

Cubsur's comments are correct. I have also stayed at the Novotel.

Avda. José Malhoa is not really in the best location if you want to avail yourselvves of a range of restaurants and eateries to avoid eating in the hotel. There a two or three cafe/bar/restaurants Avenida Columbo Bordalo Pinheiro that I have eaten in. They offer traditional Portuguese cafe fare. From memory, there are also a couple of quality restaurants there but methinks they certainly are not budget restaurants.

In fact, apart from hotels, I only know one cafe in central Lisbon, on Avda. Liberdade, that does English Breakfast early in the morning.

Turning left out of the Hotel, at the bottom end of Avda. José Malhoa, there is a shopping centre, the Twin Towers, Centre that has several restaurants. Again from memory, most are in a "Food Court" and they close about 10:00 p.m..

Edited: 26 January 2013, 08:08
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
19,403 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant, Cafe or Bakery near the Novotel Lisboa.

At Av. Columbano Bordalo Pinheiro (walking towards Praça de Espanha, the opposite direction to the train/bus/metro station) there are several restaurants and "cafés/pastelarias" where locals eat, both at lunch and dinner. At lunch they'll have the day's menu (Menu do dia) for less or around 10€/pax, for dinner you can eat for less than 20€/pax (without drinks). The twin towers have fast food, but some offer a "fast" version of portuguese dishes, there's also a small supermarket there.

For breakfast the locals eat cheese/ham sandwich with coffee, coffee with milk (or a "Galão" a version of a "Latte"), orange juice (some cafés have it freshly squeezed) and a "pastel de nata" (local pastry).

If you go up Avda. José Malhoa, you'll pass the mosque, continue till the end turn right and you'll have the big shopping mall "El Corte Inglês" (15 min each way).

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,867 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant, Cafe or Bakery near the Novotel Lisboa.

Hi barlavento,

Thank you for that.

We will only be looking for an evening meal locally on the first evening as we will not want to go far having been traveling for about 8 or 9 hours. After that we will happily travel much further for good Portuguese food. We are fortunate not to be on too tight a budget whilst on holiday, so will be able to pay a little more for good quality evening meals.

As said above, we do not know, as yet, what comprises a Portugese breakfast but in Spain, France, Holland and Turkey have always found the "local" breakfasts to be good value and to our tastes.

English breakfasts we can have any day!

Many thanks once again,

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,867 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant, Cafe or Bakery near the Novotel Lisboa.

Hi 64novpt,

That sounds good to us. We both enjoy Latte and cheese/ham and pastries.

I think we will do very well on that.

Many thanks,

Peter & Jean:o)

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant, Cafe or Bakery near the Novotel Lisboa.

PRO069,

As 64Novpt, said the word to use is "Galão" pronounced Gal-OOW! (As if someone has stepped on one of your appendages!) ;))))

I didn't mention El Corte as it is a bit of a ways from the Novotel but there are several eateries in there! BE WARNED, however, that the service at the "Tapas Bar" in the basement level is atrocious! I have frequented Tapas Bars in El Corte Ingles Stores across the length and breadth of the Iberian Peninsula and the service in the Lisbon one is by far the worst. I have tried to eat there several times and found the service abysmal.

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,867 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant, Cafe or Bakery near the Novotel Lisboa.

Hi barlaventoexpert,

Many thanks for the update and the warning.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant, Cafe or Bakery near the Novotel Lisboa.

You can try Restaurante Sete Mares at Avenida Columbano Bordalo Pinheiro, 108-A,l although I never the ate there the reviews are ok (please check them) and they have seafood and fish dishes (some meat also) . Its right in front of the Corinthia (cant miss it once you are at hour hotel).

In that same avenue you'l find a few restaurants (an ok Japonese and an awfull chinese buffett) and some coffee shops. Also in the area you have a small shopping centre called Twin Towers that will have some fast food and had , some years ago, a nice japonese restaurant - so I have heard hate japonese food myself - called AYA.

http://ayarestaurante.com/

If you are willing to venture a little bit further (10-15 minutes walking) you'll find La Gondola ,Av. de Berna, 64. It has very good rates I personally find them too generous...

Edited: 26 January 2013, 22:03
Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,505 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant, Cafe or Bakery near the Novotel Lisboa.

Where is the Britania in relation to the Novotel, we will be there mid May, will same question apply to Britania?