We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car from Lisbon to Algarve

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
883 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Car from Lisbon to Algarve

We will arrive in Lisbon and have around 10 days in the Algarve before flying out of Faro.

I want to hire a car from Lisbon to Drop in Faro. Seems like a few companies do this with no one way drop fee, at reasonable prices.

The best "quote" I have found so far is from Europcar. Does anyone have experience with Europcar, or can you recommend another reputable company?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car from Lisbon to Algarve

im going to Portugal next week and rent car for 7 days.

www.rentalcars.com

exs: http://www.rentalcars.com/SearchResults.do?puDay=8&dropCity=Faro&doMinute=30&filterTo=20&dropLocation=3538&location=3541&driversAge=25&doDay=18&doHour=11&searchType=&locationName=Lisbon+Airport&dropLocationName=Faro+Airport&doFiltering=true&city=Lisbon&country=Portugal&puHour=11&filterFrom=0&puMonth=2&puMinute=30&doMonth=2&dropCountry=Portugal&doYear=2013&puYear=2013

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,177 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car from Lisbon to Algarve

If you like, you could use the search mode box above; type in Europcars and you get quite a number of results.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
883 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car from Lisbon to Algarve

Thanks FThW

I did that in the Lisbon Search box and got zero returns. Thats why i posted he question :) Maybe I will expand my search to the Algarve.

If anyone else has experience or advice, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,177 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car from Lisbon to Algarve

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=203&geo=189158&scope=2&q=europcar&sub-search.x=7&sub-search.y=11&sub-search=Click+to+search+forums&returnTo=__2F__

If you like, copy and paste the above and you'll get the results :)

Edited: 02 February 2013, 11:51
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
883 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car from Lisbon to Algarve

Ok thanks FTHW - appreciate the link.

Some interesting opinions there, quite varied.

So, can you suggest or recommend a particular group/company for the Lisbon - Faro hire?

This topic seems to come up regularly. I don't Understand why car hire seems to be such a pain in the neck in Portugal??

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,177 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car from Lisbon to Algarve

I'm a local and own my car so can't share rental experiences. The hickup is threefold:

a) for use of the highways, a lack of 'transponder' equipment and payment arrangements

b) insurance coverage. Some charge additional coverage, some offer coverage in the rental price, some charge huge amounts of deposits to cover for eventual damage. After the rental period there often seem to be discussions about damage/scratches, being old or new

c) pick up and drop off with full tank or pick up with whatever was left in the tank and a discussion when you come back if you have topped it up exactly the way it was.

Advise: look for a rental company that has transponders and a payment arrangement for highway usage, look for full coverage/no excess and pick up/drop off with full tank.

If Europcar offers that all and you think their price is right, I'd go for it. Drop off between Lisbon and Algarve is usually charged extra.

7. Re: Car from Lisbon to Algarve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Lisbon