We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

zapping cards in lisbon

south wales
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
zapping cards in lisbon

Myself and a group of friends are visiting Lisbon in a couple of weeks time. After some research, it seems that a zapping Viva Viagem card will be our best transport option as we would like to use most of the forms of transport at some point including the train to Sintra. Am I right in thinking the train is covered on the zapping mode? And what about ferries?We also like doing most of our exploring on foot so don't want to pay each day for a daily card that we might not use. Bearing in mind the trip to Sintra, what would be a reasonable amount to load onto the card, can it be topped up easily, and is there a way of finding out how much value is left on it ( to ensure that there is enough to pay for where we want to go!)?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
816 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: zapping cards in lisbon

I agree, zapping would be your best option. Not sure about it for use in the Sintra line (it's been awhile since I've travelled there by train), but I can assure you that it is the same card that you can use for the ferries. Yes, they can be topped up easily. There are options for single-travel or for zapping, and options for amounts (3, 5, 7 and 10 euros, with the last including one free ride). The train fare to Sintra, I know, is cheap, though I don't know how much it is exactly now. Yes, it is easy to know how much you have left -- any ticket machine will show you the credit available, just stick the card in and it's the first info you see.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,229 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: zapping cards in lisbon

Yes, you can use the zapping option both on Sintra and Cascais trains.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: zapping cards in lisbon

And yes, you can use your zapping card for the ferry and also the funicular.

Enjoy!

4. Re: zapping cards in lisbon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 05:19