We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Efficiency??

Ireland
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Efficiency??

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how long it will take us from when we land at Lisbon to being ready to leave the airport? Is the passport control(EU citizens) fast or slow and what about the baggage carousels? I realise all airports differ depending on whether it is a busy time or not but in general at midday on a Monday what is it like? I've been thru many airports and some you know will take an hour(or more) to get off the plane, go thru passport control and collect your bag while other airports will have you thru in at least half of that.

Thanks.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Efficiency??

It depends on the number of flights arriving, have a look at:

ana.pt/en-US/…HomeLisboa.aspx

If you can't choose monday, just check any weekday as it won't make that much difference.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,238 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Efficiency??

I think that at least 1h30m, baggage carousels are usually slow.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Efficiency??

We have done it in 45 minutes but that was a bit of a fluke. Assume maximum inefficiency on the part of the baggage handlers, although everyone else seems to be relatively efficient. I'd assume over an hour at least if I were you.

Ireland
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Efficiency??

Thanks everyone. Will assume it will take awhile then!

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Efficiency??

I don't recall from our arrival last year in Lisbon it taking any longer than any other airport. Seemed the process was relatively normal.

I do remember walking a very long way through the terminal when we departed Lisbon. And we were warned by the passport officer that waits can be quite long when there are numerous flights arriving/departing.

I guess we were fortunate on our timing.

Warsaw
Level Contributor
179 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Efficiency??

I arrived in Portela on a TAP Portugal flight midday on a weekday, and it did not take more than 45 minutes from touchdown to queueing for the Aerobus. The wait at the carousel was quite long and there is quite a bit of walking required from gate to carousels, but it is not any worse than at other major airports in Europe, like Munich or Dusseldorf (actually, Dusseldorf was much worse for me).

Ireland
Level Contributor
143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Efficiency??

Just wanted to come back and update this. Well the airport was very efficient. Our bags were waiting for us on the luggage carousel before we got to it. This was terminal 1. Passport control was fast as was customs.

One word of warning for those who are flying out of Terminal 1 and need to go thru passport control to their gates. Eat and shop first before you head for the gates. Once you got thru passport control there is no food options(apart from vending machines?) and extremly limited shopping. We didn't know this and I ended up taking my 6 year old back thru a door to arrivals(luckily the guy on the door let us in as I explained that the 6yo had to be fed!) and then back down that long long corridor to passport control(guy thought it was very funny), thru baggage control, customs(with no bags!),into arrivals hall, back to departures, thru security etc. It took us over 30 mins(my 6yo literally ran/jogged beside me) to get back to the food hall. Luckily we had been at the airport early so had time but we still cut it tight as we then had to go back thru passport control(for the 3rd time) again and walk to the gate.

So be warned. Leave a lot of time and eat/shop first!

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Efficiency??

Excellent advise Hope. We learned the hard way last year and missed out on the great duty free shopping and food.

When we asked the passport control officer about returning, he said it could take hours if a number of flights were arriving/departing at the same time. We couldn't take the risk.

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,705 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Efficiency??

Hi TBM,

So, let me get this right.

After booking in and getting rid of our luggage, it is recommended to eat or shop BEFORE continuing on and going through passport control?

This seems a little strange?

I don't remember ever having to do this before at other airports.

Sorry if this sounds a bit dense but I have never heard of this idea before. Usually most, if not all, of the duty free shops and restaurants are AFTER passport control!

One further question: can anyone recommend a nice cafe or restaurant there for us to get some breakfast/sandwich etc.?

Many thanks in advance,

Peter & Jean. :o)

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,172 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Efficiency??

Have a look at the following link:

ana.pt/en-US/…AbouttheAirport.aspx

you can find a map of the departures and a list of all the food shops with opening times etc.

one more: ifly.com/lisbon-portela-airport/terminal-map

Edited: 09 April 2013, 08:12